In Search Of Solid Ground review by Saosin

• Released: Sep 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Saosin: In Search Of Solid Ground

Saosin didn't break any ground with this one, but they have definitely have a solid sound by now. Saosin fans know what to expect from their albums, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you see things. I see it as a bad thing, but Saosin does a bad thing better than most. In Search of Solid Ground has an excellent opening track that immediately caught my attention with a melodic driving riff, which reminded me to listen to "On Letting Go" by Circa Survive. However, the following tracks became very diluted, and at times i felt like I'm listening to Fuse TV or TRL. Guitar work in In Search of Solid Sound didn't dissappoint me because i didn't expect anything, not that there's anything good about that. I didn't notice anything special about this album; it is just another release that will go forgotten in this music scene that we live in.

The lyrics are the standard fare of the genre. As much as I am reluctant to use the word "emo" in my language, I feel like i might just give up my pride and do it for this review. "I never thought i'd let you down/I'm sorry that i let you drown/...can i make it on my own/will i ever feel my limbs again/am i losing my mind". You get the idea.

This album works as background music, but if you want to listen to real music in this genre, consider uploading some circa survive back into your ipod, or shuffle through your old cd's if that's how you roll. the thing that i actually like about this album is that is fairly coherent. However, i lose interest as soon as the break during "On My Own" hits, which is only the fifth track on the cd. "I keep my secrets safe" is the best track on the album, and if you like the same music as me, you will end up listening to the first five tracks of this album. Some of the stuff that comes later in the album reminds me of Beloved, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and other bands that border the "Alternative Rock" genre, or even Against Me. No dice.