In Search Of Solid Ground review by Saosin

• Released: Sep 8, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
Saosin: In Search Of Solid Ground

Saosin had me waiting with bated breath from the moment I heard Keep Secrets off of The Grey EP and I hate to say it, but I was truly let down. I was under the impression that the band Saosin had finally found a perfect communion between the tastefulness of the Cove Reber era and the attitude of the Anthony Green era. Upon hearing a revised version of "Keep Secrets" on "In Search Of Solid Ground" (now called "I Keep My Secrets Safe") my faith started to wane and continued to do so as the album progressed. Saosin captivated me with their first CD (Self-Titled) by their ability to be incredibly catchy while still playing heavy and interesting guitar lines. Needless to say, Rodriguez is one of the best drummers of his generation and Cove's vocal lines left nothing to be desired. On "In Search Of Solid Ground" all of these attributes were more or less forgotten in Saosin's desperate attempt to break out into the mainstream radio genre. Power chords and chunky palm muting were substituted for the creative guitar lines that I once loved Saosin for. Interesting song structures were replaced with boring 90's power pop style choruses. Any fans that still had hope in Saosin after Anthony Green left are going to surely find other music to listen to after they hear this CD. In other words, the band went in exactly the direction that I didn't want them to go in.

Cove has a very unique voice because he has unbelievable power along with a huge range. He really shows his talent in the high vocal ranges because he doesn't lose any of his tone or volume. In other words, the sound of his voice hasn't fallen short of my expectations and he truly puts other vocalists to shame. However, his melodies and lyrics are just pathetic. I expected more from one of the most popular post-hardcore bands on the scene. The songs all start sounding the same after track two and they just get worse from there. Saosin's attempt to become a mainstream band has backfired and they are going to lose more fans than they make with this CD.

I hate the fact that Saosin has finally fallen victim to the mainstream media that dominates the music scene. "In Search Of Solid Ground" does not have any tracks that make me REALLY want to listen to it more than a few times. I'll stick to the self-titled CD and Anthony Green era Saosin and hope to God that they revert back to their old style on their next CD.

corrie_911
    s1nn3r
    corrie_911 wrote: 2nd review, why review saosin if all you're going to do is promote circa survive? gtfo fanboy.
    I wish I could 'thumbs up' that.
    danielrobbyshor
    i'll agree, its a disappointment. i LOVED the new songs on The Grey EP and it feels like the over-production has butchered them. Love Maker lost its balls-out, back to roots sound that i loved. granted Keep Secrets is still a great song, a good album opener, but the whole album goes downhill from there. and what the hell is "Changing" all about? ugh.
    migs_migeezie
    I actually love really like this album. To be honest "Changing" is one of my favorite songs. I love the swing feel to it. I commend Saosin from breaking away a little to try something different. Yes there is a lot of similar songs that sound much like the self titled album but there are a few different ones that make me feel good about where they can go. If you want to keep hearing the same songs as the self titled album then just keep listening to that. Too many people get so caught up in how they thin a band should sound that they piss in any sort of change.
    TheClincher
    Build An Army
    I actually found this album very good, it still contains the raw Saosin sounds and guitar tones but with a more fresh attitude and modern take on song writing. I think its a great album and probably one I could easily listen to over and over again.
    TheClincher
    TheClincher wrote: I love Saosin, but I could only listen to this album once, and had to shut it off as to not completely tarnish the image of this band to me. They totally wrecked all the songs from The Grey Ep, aside from Why Can't You See..very disappointing album. I hope their next effort is much better.
    After a few more listens, I've changed my mind. It's not a bad album, has a lot of good songs, a few terrible ones, and the production is meh. Fireflies is a great song if you listen all the way through.
    iamghost
    HAHAHA you're right!! i only listen to the first 5 tracks!!! not to say any of the other ones are bad... just not interesting.
    Bassman 561
    this album is garbage. the 5 producers definitely show, because there seems to be a lack of cohesion between the songs. Saosin should not have made a record that sounds like their previous ones, but they should have made a good record regardless