Saosin review by Saosin

• Released: Sep 26, 2006
Saosin: Saosin

The now out of print [correct me if I'n wrong] Saosin EP is a 5-track EP consisting of an acoutisc track, a live track, and an original demo of a song on the full-length debut, among an original track not realeased on the full length, and one of three versions of the track "Bury Your Head". After Anthony Green left Saosin and his replacement, Cove Reber, took his place, many wondered what would become of their beloved Soasin. And this EP is the first example of Cove's work with Saosin. And it is wonderful. Clocking in at about 17 minutes, the 5-track EP is short but definatley worth it. The lead-off track, "Bury Your Head", appears on the full length debut, and has become almost a signature track of Saosin's. It shows off a large portion of Saosin's style, pounding, melodic drums with crunching chords with twinkling melodies floating around the other instruments, and atop sits the high vocals. A very solid opening track, definatley worth listening. The next track is easily my favorite. "I Wanna Hear Another Fast Song" is the original demo of "Sleepers. Every time I hear a different version of Sleepers, whether it be a mysterious demo I acquired somewhere, then the full-length, and then this version, they all seem to get better. "I Wanna Hear Another Fast Song" is the most aggresive version, showcasing the boys' more metal infulences. More double bass, breakdowns and such. One of Saosin's more mosh-y songs. "New Angel" is one of their busiest songs, yet one of their more softer, heartfelt songs. A definte sing-along song. Not much to sya about this one. A very solid song. The next track, "Lost Symphonies [Live]" gives an example of how tight and energetic Saosin's live show is. They are one of the tightest band I've ever heard in my life. You can hear every instrument, and it sounds like a studio recorded track. The acoustic version of "Bury Your Head" is a rather slow, yet you can feel energy from this song. It takes a whole new take on "Bury Your Head", allowing you to hear the melodies that have made Saosin famous. They acoustic guitar goes very well with Cove's voice.

Cove Reber is no Anthony Green, but in his own right, he is a fantastic singer. He sings in the same style as Anthony, and fits the instruments perfectly. A good portion of Saosin's energy comes through Cove's brilliant phrashing. You can tell everything he sings is sung from the heart. Cove helped Saosin stay true to it's form after the departure of Anthony.

If you consider yourself a Saosin fan, you after to get this EP in te most legal way possible. It is pure excellence. There isn't any filler on these 5 tracks, and every one song is worth listening all the way through. Although the songs sound a bit alike, they are still differnet in their own way.

trjafreak208
    I think Cove fits better with Saosin and Anthony fits better with Circa Survive. The full-length album is definitely the best album I've heard so far. I love how unique their sound is compared to what people normally think of "emo", and Alex (drummer) is pretty killer. Cove may not be Anthony Green, but I definitely like his voice better with Saosin. I wish the whole band best of luck and am waiting impatiently for their next album.
    martyrdood
    This is one of those CD's you could start, and listen the whole way through. Their like the used kinda, they have a unique sound, which for any band is something which will draw attention. As long as this sound is appealing to the ear ofcourse =P Voices has one of the best guitar riffs with a beautiful intensity, and the first track will always draw you into the CD, every song on this CD is something worth listening too aswell. 9.5 outta 10
    sexclamation
    Escape the Fate are gay and suck ass. So do The Used. I love this band though. I personally think that Cove's got a lot of control in his voice compared to Anthony's voice in Translating the Name. Green has a good voice too but they both found what they were looking for in their bands now. Plus the band is way better on this album