Translating The Name review by Saosin

• Released: Jan 20, 2004
Saosin: Translating The Name

The first song I heard from this album was the song 'Seven Years' as I browsed through a friends my space. It hooked me instantly, from the first line, it was amazing. I then went on to purchase the EP and was equally astounded by the amazing sound and overall musicianship of this album. The vocals are crisp and soaring (they are also quite high, but that is a feature that makes them unique). The guitar is well-structured, full, expressive, quite intricate in parts and employs metal-style riffs of which are quite rare in the emo/punk genre. The drums are breath-takingly technical, in-time, expressive and creative. The drums on this EP were played by Slayer's former drum tech, and definitely elevates the overall sound. The bass does not stand out through-out the record, but upon listening, I found some interesting bass-lines and harmony ideas. Another very interesting thing about this EP is the intelligent use of harmonies, both in vocals, guitar and bass, and the harmonies between each of them. There are some subtle chordal voicings that are very rare to find within this genre of music. The overall quality of the production is excellent. It has not been produced down to a plastic sheen (such as records by Atreyu and Bullet For My Valentine) which gives it that raw, punk quality.

The lyrics are amazing. Pure poetry. The singer (Anthony Green) often writes a partial storyline, but riddled with metaphors and missing pieces, leaving the listener to interpret what it may mean. Some people are annoyed by this complexity, or may claim it is just nonsensical rambling, but had the lyrics simply been a set of "I miss you, baby"s and "I love you"s, the songs would lose their magic. Anthony has given us the chance to personally interpret these lyrics. The lyrics suit the overall music and vocal melodies fantastically, each word seems to be created solely for the note it is sung with. Anthony is an amazing singer. He possesses an amazingly broad and diverse range, but usually lingers within the soprano (high pitch) area. This fits the music perfectly. As a singer, he hits all notes correctly, stays well within key and sings with confidence, conviction, urgency and expression.

This EP is just amazing. Saosin built up an enormous following off this one, five-track EP and generated whispers of greatness and 'the next big thing'. To achieve this with only an EP and very few live shows is a mammoth feat and gives a very clear indication of just how amazing this EP is. All the songs on this EP are superb, though I did not enjoy '3rd Measurement in C' as much as the other four. To my ears it lacked the structure and deliberateness of the others, and employed a a faster, punkier beat. I love everything about this EP. It is my favourite record ever, flawless top my ears. I do not hate anything about it. I do resent Anthony leaving the band though, as I believe the full length would have been a masterpiece if the EP was any sort of indication. If this CD was lost/stolen, I would definitely buy/download it again. I do not need to explain why, I have already explained it with great detail. Now go out and buy this CD!

steve45
    my friends hate saosin... but they dont understand... Saosin is really a great band... i love them... but better if Anthony Green were around, i do not much like Cove... amazing... pure out amazing.. nice review's guys...
    AllMidnightEyes
    Seven Years is a great song. It's one of the few songs I listen to by the band. The EP is alright, I didn't like the new CD that much
    xXSaosinXx
    I agree...Anthony is way better than Cove ...
    i do not much like Cove
    GreenSaosiner
    xXSaosinXx wrote: I agree...Anthony is way better than Cove ... i do not much like Cove Whether Cove or Anthony sings the songs for Saosin, I believe that a part of both of them was given to this band that makes Saosin what it is today. Cove has a strong voice that carries the music with him while Anthony has lyrics created by metaphores. They are both amazing singers.
    I don't really agree with that Cove totally sucks live. I like him on the album but if you listen to any live recordings, such as Live Symphonies, or Seven Years he just totally butchers them and they suck. Anthony was not only a better lyricist but he was also a far superior vocalist. Also this EP blows my ****ing mind...I love it!
    brettk7
    Honestly, the Translating the Name EP is Saosin best work to date. Their self-titled is good, but it will never amount to the hype that this CD had. Keep in mind this also was released in 2003, when there really weren't a lot of bands like this out. Sure there were a lot, but this was before every 14 year old kid with a starter pack guitar wanted to have a band like Saosin. For the record, Cove does not suck. I have seen both of the singers live and to be honest, Cove does them justice.