Crust review by Sarcófago

Sarcófago: Crust

4 track EP released by Sarcfago in 2000. This is the last Sarcfago studio release. While their last full-lenght album, "The Worst", features more complex song structures and longer songs, this EP kinda sounds like "Hate", simple and crushing. Riffs here are just insane and really death metal oriented stuff. Just like in "Hate", also, Wagner Lamounier does not really care for solos here, but when they come, they're mostly whammy bar craziness and pinch harmonics together. Works fine for me. This album also features a drum machine instead of a "real" drummer, just like in all their releases after "The Laws Of Scourge". Actually, Sarcfago is, in my opinion, one of the few bands that used this drum programming thing correctly. Overall, it kinda annoys me. I don't think this EP is even close to Sarcfago's classics like "I.N.R.I." and "Rotting", but I still really enjoy this. Quick and straight to the point extreme metal.

To be honest, I don't find the lyrics here very impressive. Two of them are basically about death and suffering ("Crust" and "Day Of The Dead"), while "F.O.M.B.M. (F--k Off Melodic Black Metal)" fiercely criticises the melodic black metal movement, as suggested in the title, openly citing and attacking bands like Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir. And well, about Wagner Lamounier's voice, it's just maniacal death metal growls, as usual, but unlike all the other Sarcfago releases, it makes the lyrics really inaudible. Still, nothing that really bothers me.

So, enough said. This is an honest, quick and good dose of extreme metal. Like I've said, I do not consider this to be Sarcfago's finest hour or something (obviously, since the band would break up later that year), but I still really like this (like it way, way better than "The Worst"). I would highlight "Crust" and "F.O.M.B.M." here, but all the four songs here are pretty good. I recommend this to any extreme metal fan.