I.N.R.I. review by Sarcófago

Sarcófago: I.N.R.I.

This is Sarcfago's first album, released in 1987, and one of the most brutal and groundbreaking albums in metal music. A big influence to many death metal and black metal bands. Sarcfago was one of the bands signed up with the small label Cogumelo Records in Brazil. Sarcfago was founded around 1985, and Wagner Lamounier were asked to join them after leaving Sepultura. They appeared first at a compilation released by Cogumelo Records called "Warfare Noise", with the songs "The Black Vomit", "Recrucify" and "Satanas". Their visual, the strong lyrics and completely aggressive sound brought them a lot of attention, and Cogumelo afforded the band to record this album. It's just insanity in form of music. Insane blast beats, solid bass, riffs at the speed of lightning. I think that's a good definition to the album, superficially. This album has been released almost 30 years ago, and still sounds actual. Few bands have topped such a brutality.

The lyrics on this album are basically focused on satanism, anti-christianism and lust/sex. The band stated later that the lyrics of bands like Venom and Hellhammer influenced a lot on their lyrics in the early days. They helped the band gain a bit of attention. Their lyrics are a big influence on black metal and death metal acts too, just like their sound. Wagner Lamounier's voice here just sounds like Satan himself screaming on a microphone. Guttural, low-pitched voices and manic screams coming out of hell is a great definition to his voice here. Amazing.

This is a metal classic. Highly influential, helped to build genres and many metal bands. Sadly, many people does not give Sarcfago all the credit they deserve. This album is just completely brutal, raw and groundbreaking. I would point "Satanic Lust" and "Nightmare" as the best ones, but all songs here are completely amazing. This is a must have for any fan of extreme metal. If someone steal this from me, I would not even hesitate to buy it again.

swave75
    I am proud to say I own this classic. It is their best album by far. Great reviews guys.