I.N.R.I. Review

Sarcófago: I.N.R.I.
Released: Jul 1987
Genre: Black Metal, Death Metal[
Label: Cogumelo
Every Sarcofago album is unique, and each show a prominent change in style and genre.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.7
I.N.R.I. Reviewed by: krvolok, on may 14, 2010

Sound: What one must keep in mind is that Sarcofago come from a very conservative background, and yet the level of perversion in this album could easily surprise even the most hardened listener. It's very fast averaging well over 200 bpm, there are a couple of slow sections an breaks, but the better part of INRI is fast, there are a few melodic hooks here and there the rest is dissonant and heavy. The drumming is brutal, blast beats at 240 bpm, very precise double bass pedal sections, the guitars are ok, nothing ultra technical, the bass is relatively inactive and follows the guitars all the way for the entire album. // 9

Lyrics: If you like raw lyrics, good, because INRI contains some of the rawest lyrics I ever herd, just take a look to "Desecration of Virgin", the themes mostly go towards sex, sin, Satan, violence. Wagner "Antichrist" Lamounier does a good job on the vocals, they too are raw as hell. The vocals add a lot to the overall feel of the album, better written lyrics will come on later album but those are not as raw as these. // 8

Overall Impression: Every Sarcofago album is unique, and each show a prominent change in stile and genre, so the the only thing that INRI compares to is Slayer's Reign In Blood. Keeping in mind time and geography the production is ok but far from polished, the bass is deaf for most of the time and the album could have gone without the groaning effect on the vocals. // 9

I.N.R.I. Reviewed by: iommi600, on december 23, 2011

Sound: This is Sarcfago's first album, released in 1987, and one of the most brutal and groundbreaking albums in metal music. A big influence to many death metal and black metal bands. Sarcfago was one of the bands signed up with the small label Cogumelo Records in Brazil. Sarcfago was founded around 1985, and Wagner Lamounier were asked to join them after leaving Sepultura. They appeared first at a compilation released by Cogumelo Records called "Warfare Noise", with the songs "The Black Vomit", "Recrucify" and "Satanas". Their visual, the strong lyrics and completely aggressive sound brought them a lot of attention, and Cogumelo afforded the band to record this album. It's just insanity in form of music. Insane blast beats, solid bass, riffs at the speed of lightning. I think that's a good definition to the album, superficially. This album has been released almost 30 years ago, and still sounds actual. Few bands have topped such a brutality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are basically focused on satanism, anti-christianism and lust/sex. The band stated later that the lyrics of bands like Venom and Hellhammer influenced a lot on their lyrics in the early days. They helped the band gain a bit of attention. Their lyrics are a big influence on black metal and death metal acts too, just like their sound. Wagner Lamounier's voice here just sounds like Satan himself screaming on a microphone. Guttural, low-pitched voices and manic screams coming out of hell is a great definition to his voice here. Amazing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a metal classic. Highly influential, helped to build genres and many metal bands. Sadly, many people does not give Sarcfago all the credit they deserve. This album is just completely brutal, raw and groundbreaking. I would point "Satanic Lust" and "Nightmare" as the best ones, but all songs here are completely amazing. This is a must have for any fan of extreme metal. If someone steal this from me, I would not even hesitate to buy it again. // 10

Comments