Gutter Ballet review by Savatage

• Released: Dec 1, 1989
Savatage: Gutter Ballet

The sound of this album is very 80's. Pounding drums, shrieking voccals, good bass, and a very crisp clean guitar. This album is very power metal. But, what Savatage decided to do with this album was add bits of symphonic music in here. The last three songs of the album kinda fit into one story about a very disturbed boy. Overall, the sound and production of this album is excellent.

The lyrics on this album are very wide-ranged. But, thats the good thing: 01. Of Rage And War: this song is bassically about war. It's got a really kick-ass guitar riff to it and a very memorable chorus. 02. Gutter Ballet: ah, yes, the title track. This is where the long line of piano playing in Savatage songs begin. But, in this song, the guitar and the piano kinda work together. Before I knew this, I thought that it would be completely impossible to do this. This is the only song on the album that I have no idea what it is talking about. Sorry. 03. Temptation Revelation: the first of 2 instrumentals on this album. This one is kind of a battle between the guitar and this entire array of orchestra music. It's only 3 minutes, but a very good 3 minutes! Oh, the guitar wins. 04. When The Crowds Are Gone: ah, yes the first of 2 power ballads on this album. This one is very memorable and will be remembered. This song talks of a former musician who remembers his times on the road and how much he misses it. 05. Silk And Steel: the 2nd instrumental on this album. This on is a very peaceful song. Only acoustic guitars and a bit of mandolin, I think. 06. She's In Love: the title really tells you what the song is about. This one is filled with alot of really cool guitar and effects and some really fast playing. 07. Hounds: this one is a very prog metal kinda song. This is my favorite song on this album, it is so amazing! This song talks of someone who is trying to escape from some place, But all its says is that the hounds are coming. 08. The Unholy: this is another songs that speaks for itself. The sog has a really amazing guitar riff at the beginning, and around the end it has an amazing chant of "unholy". Catchy song. 09. Mentally Yours: this begins the last 3 songs that make a story. This, obviously, begins the story. This talks about "timmy" as a boy and how the things he did affected the people around him. 10. Summers Rain: another power ballad, but an amazing one. This one talks of timmy as an adult and where his actions have kinda gotten him. This is one of those very emotional songs that if you are tough as nails, this will make you open up. Tissues will be needed when listeing to this song. 11. Thorazine Shuffle: this one, I think, talks about how timme decides that he'll take some thorazine. I have no idea what this stuff does, but I think he dies from it. This song has a really cool and heavy ending. Perfect ending for a perfect album.

This album is my favorite album from Savatage. They really out did themselves on this one. The stand out songs on this album, in my opinion, a heard core Savatage fan, would be: Hounds, Of Rage And War, Gutter Ballet, When The Crowds Are Gona and Summers Rain. There is really nothing to hate about this album and the sound of the guitar is really what makes this album different than all of the other albums out in the late 80's / early 90's (It was realeased in December of '89). It really can't get stolen from me, because I bought the whole album on Itunes, which I kinda regret because its Itunes. I wish I got is on CD. But, If my computer F'd up on me and dumped all of my stuff, I would definetely buy this album again. It is amazing!

EpiExplorer
    Skuzzmo
    EpiExplorer wrote: Most underrated band of the 80's after Angelwitch. Prefer Hall of the Mountain King, but love all their albums.
    I second this....
    ovation08
    I loved this album, brings back good memories from '90, '91 & '92 for me.
    itchy guitar
    AxeHappy wrote: Savatage might just be the most underrated band ever.
    Quoted for emphasis. By far the most underrated band ever.
    machinehead77
    metallifreak77 wrote: Great album! Very nice review. Good to see some more Savatage fans on UG
    +100000
    MXFNCK
    exactly that!
    Deathmethod
    AxeHappy wrote: Savatage might just be the most underrated band ever.
    I would say Wrathchild America, but this is pretty good as well.
    XtremesWolf
    they still do music lol, my first show was Savatage ,megadeth and dio in 1985 lol thats a long time ago
    guitarman 92
    Jon olivas answer to hounds taken from savatages homepage: "With 'Hounds' we arrive at what I'd call pure fantasy. Behind the lyrics to this song there is no deeper meaning...it has entirely been made up by me. In my spare time I love to write horror stories and the lyrics are based upon such a story. It's about a crazy professor who is experimenting with hunting dogs. Of course, things get completely out of hand and the dogs turn into murderous monsters. First they devour the professor and then start hunting for more human flesh and blood. To stay in tune with the American horror movies, I gave the story an open ending so no one knows whether the dogs are dead or still alive. Who knows, maybe it will be continued sometime." ...btw great review ;D
    lifetaker1000
    well everyone else has already spoken for me. one of my favorite bands ever! i just cant say enough good things