Power Of The Night review by Savatage

• Released: Jan 1, 1985
Savatage: Power Of The Night

Ah, Savatge's second album. The sound on here is very different from the first album. It actually sounds like a power metal album! Criss's guitar has been cleaned up alot, but the power in the sound is very far from gone. It is the driving force on this album. The bass, as usual for the first few Savatage albums, remains to not be heard very often. But in the few places it shows up, its sounds pretty good. The drums have even been upgraded from the last album. It actually sounds like a decent drum kit made for heavy metal. It's got the speed, power and beat in every song.

The sound of Jon's vocals are pretty good on this album. They still have the screeching, screaming sound it would have. But on "Warriors", right at the beginning, he's actually singing, not screaming. And it's actually very peaceful. The lyrics on here vary from what was on the last album. But some of the titles are named on what they are about. Unusual, Necrophilia, Warriors, The Fountain of Youth, etc. Hard for Love is Savatage's try at making a normal, kinda AC/DC song for the radio. The title track, I have no clue what it talks about, but the lyrics are really hitting.

You can't really compare Savatage to other artists. They didn't go with what any other band was doing just to get popular. They went their own way. Did they get popular? No, but they do have a cult following. Bassically, almost anyone who listens to Savatage is a die-hard fan. The most impressive songs, in my opinion, would be: 1. Warriors 2. Power of the night 3. The fountain of youth I love the way the songs were made on this album. And there is really nothing to hate about this album. This album isnt really a must-have for savatage fans, but its a nice addition to the collection.

Caboose911
    hmmm, ive never heard of these guys to be honest.... maybe i should look into them
    benage
    Savatage rocks!!! I've just started getting into these guys and they are just awesome. Criss is an amazing guitarist, considering he was completely self taught. Such a shame he died so young. So far my favorite album would have to be Hall of the Mountain King. I would definitely recommend checking these guys out if you are into any kind of metal or heavy rock. Particularly the albums prior to 1994 when Criss was still alive.