Sound The Alarm review by Saves the Day

• Released: Apr 11, 2006
Saves the Day: Sound The Alarm

In recording the follow up to the somewhat disappointing album "In Reverie" Saves The Day is now back to their classic sound with upbeat hard hitting guitar riffs, and the original melodies that made them popular with their first two albums "Can't Slow Down" and "Through Being Cool." "We are currently working on new songs. They are short and fast and angry and will make you want to tear your ears off your head," stated Chris Conley before the album was finished, and they definitely did just that. Saves The Day's style has changed often due to a constantly rotating line-up.

Chris Conley's voice is very distinct and many people either love it or hate it. Those who loved the early work of Saves The Day will be drawn to the lyrics of this album. Chris Conley had always been known for aggressive and abstract lyrics and this album is no exception. "Sound The Alarm" is filled with aggressive; often times violent lyrics that really hit the listener hard and often take them by surprise. "I'll carve out my lungs and it's all just to see you again/I'm sick in my gut from the poison I drank to forget," the chorus from track number four entitled "Eulogy," or "After I pull out my tongue, Tie it round my neck, Hang myself alone in the dark" found on "Shattered." To many, this may make you ask yourself, "Did he really just say that?" But fans of Saves The Day won't be surprised by the ghastly descriptions Chris uses. These expressions may sound overboard to some people but those who appreciate Saves The Day and are familiar with Chris's work know that these are often metaphors for much deeper feelings and often help capture his anger with shock value that has even been humorous on some occasions.

Saves The Day's journey back to their classic style of fast punk-influenced rock music shows a band that has learned from experience, as this is their 5th full length album. After realizing their previous album "In Reverie" wasn't the direction they wanted to take, they decided to hit fans with an aggressive, angry, fast-paced record to pick disappointed fans up off their feet. As to whether this album can compete with the stellar success of their third studio album "Stay What You Are" it's hard to say that this is the album that's going to top it, but this is definitely a huge revival and major success for Saves The Day.