Sound The Alarm Review

Saves the Day: Sound The Alarm
Release Date: Apr 11, 2006
Label: Vagrant
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Saves The Day's style has changed often due to a constantly rotating line-up.
 9.3
 9.7
 8.9
Sound The Alarm Reviewed by: GuitarPunk150, on march 30, 2006

Sound: In recording the follow up to the somewhat disappointing album "In Reverie" Saves The Day is now back to their classic sound with upbeat hard hitting guitar riffs, and the original melodies that made them popular with their first two albums "Can't Slow Down" and "Through Being Cool." "We are currently working on new songs. They are short and fast and angry and will make you want to tear your ears off your head," stated Chris Conley before the album was finished, and they definitely did just that. Saves The Day's style has changed often due to a constantly rotating line-up. // 10

Lyrics: Chris Conley's voice is very distinct and many people either love it or hate it. Those who loved the early work of Saves The Day will be drawn to the lyrics of this album. Chris Conley had always been known for aggressive and abstract lyrics and this album is no exception. "Sound The Alarm" is filled with aggressive; often times violent lyrics that really hit the listener hard and often take them by surprise. "I'll carve out my lungs and it's all just to see you again/I'm sick in my gut from the poison I drank to forget," the chorus from track number four entitled "Eulogy," or "After I pull out my tongue, Tie it round my neck, Hang myself alone in the dark" found on "Shattered." To many, this may make you ask yourself, "Did he really just say that?" But fans of Saves The Day won't be surprised by the ghastly descriptions Chris uses. These expressions may sound overboard to some people but those who appreciate Saves The Day and are familiar with Chris's work know that these are often metaphors for much deeper feelings and often help capture his anger with shock value that has even been humorous on some occasions. // 10

Overall Impression: Saves The Day's journey back to their classic style of fast punk-influenced rock music shows a band that has learned from experience, as this is their 5th full length album. After realizing their previous album "In Reverie" wasn't the direction they wanted to take, they decided to hit fans with an aggressive, angry, fast-paced record to pick disappointed fans up off their feet. As to whether this album can compete with the stellar success of their third studio album "Stay What You Are" it's hard to say that this is the album that's going to top it, but this is definitely a huge revival and major success for Saves The Day. // 9

Sound The Alarm Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2006

Sound: Saves The Day has been one of my favorite bands since all the way back in the Through Being Cool days. I have stuck with them even through the doubting times of In Reverie. Let's just say throw all those doubts out of the window. Saves The Day went back to their older sound of fast paced, blistering punk-hardcore. Some might say it's a degression but I say if it isn't broke don't fix it. For the past year the band has been holed up writing new songs for what would become Sound The Alarm. They have crafted a darker sound due to singer/ songwriter Chris Conley's supposed dementia and depression. Saves The Day are back to doing what they do best. They even added a few things like some cool solos. Musically this album is second best only to Stay What You Are. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Conley's lyrics have long been my favorite. Growing up it was hard for me not to relate to them. Even now as Chris has grown up I have to. Still though I relate to his lyrics. As I grow up I'm not exactly still in tune with broken hearts and songs about girls, but more with loneliness and depression that Chris laments about. On this album Conley's lyrics are visceral and bloody. They always have been. But fortunately that's okay with me. Chris has had those kinds of lyrics for years but it never sounds forced or immature (see Senses Fail, Hawthorne Heights or numerous other imitators). The songs now revolve around the Chris's possible insanity (Say You'll Never Leave, Delusional) paranoia (Sound The Alarm) and depression (Shattered). My only complaint is that the lyrics begin to sound the same after thirteen songs and the song Dying Day is a little too upbeat for the lyrics that accompany it. Chris's voice has also improved. One thing people need to realize is that his voice changes with every album. I think that that is a good thing and it accompanies the mood of every CD. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is easily one of my favorite CDs of 2006. I was really disappointed that it took them so long to put it out but the wait was well worth it when I got my hands on the finished product. The production is absolutely awesome which I contribute to producer Steve Evetts and I think that Saves The Day's biggest mistake was using Rob Schnapf for In Reverie. If they would have stuck with Evetts, In Reverie might not have sounded as lackluster as it does. My favorite songs on the album are pounding opener "Head For The Hills", single worthy "Eulogy", the all around solid "Sound The Alarm" and the soaring and climaxing closer "Hell Is Here". I'm overall very happy with this album and if it was stolen I wouldn't think twice about buying it again. This is definitly my third favorite Saves The Day album but that it not a bad thing. A bad Saves The Day album is still better than the best effort by more than half the bands on "the scene" today. And that is a world that I can live in. // 10

Comments