Under The Boards review by Saves the Day

• Released: Oct 30, 2007
Saves the Day: Under The Boards

This is the newest album and 2nd part of a trilogy of CDs. Compared to Older albums (let's say from can't slow down to Stay what you are) it is very different. Chris sings much higher, the music is much more of a rock then a pop-punk sound. Overall at times it works and others it doesn't. The vocals are closer to In Reverie or Sound the Alarm. The music itself is rather a new venture for STD. With an always revolving lineup, that can't be helped.

The album at times is very dark but also hopeful at the same time. The lyrics are very whiny ("I wanna crawl into the ground and not come out", or "I thought you'd save me from myself with love")but it fits the theme and overall feel of the album. Chris' vocals are the best of the new era of STD. Very emotional, especially the chorus of "Stay" amongst many oters.

The album starts really strong for the first 3 or 4 tracks then slips a bit but regains strength as it goes. It's really up and down in terms of good and bad tunes. If you want a good feel of the album check out "Under The Boards", "Radio", "Get F--ked Up", and "Stay". It's definatly worth a listen if you enjoy Saves The Days newer stuff.

adslam3
    i love the old and the new stuff from saves the day...you can't really compare the two though because they have changed so much since the very beginning. i liked this cd more than sound the alarm though. either way, this is a real good album