Ups And Downs: Early Recordings And B-sides review by Saves the Day

• Released: Aug 24, 2004
Saves the Day: Ups And Downs: Early Recordings And B-sides

Saves The Day is easily my favorite band. Their sound is distinctive but pleasent. You can jump to the music or lay in bed staring at the ceiling while listening to this album.

Chris Conley is a genius. Saves The Day lyrics are honest and heartfelt. Sometimes it is difficult to understand what Chris is saying but after a few times hearing a track you get it. The lyrics usually match the music perfectly and each compliments the other. I've heard Chris live a few times and I think he's great but I think he is at home in the studio. The way he sings is very personal; he has a perfect voice for his genre of punk/emo/whatever. I'm always amazed at how well he can convey emotion with his voice.

I've heard Saves The Day compared to Blink 182 many times but I think Saves The Day comes out on top musically. Don't get me wrong, Blink 182 is great too but it's a little to close to mainstream pop for my taste. The live version of Jessie and My Whetstone is the best thing from and STD album and Sell My Old Clothes, is a close second. Both of these songs have so much heart, you feel like you're right there with Chris. He's brings you into his world so completely its moving.