Saving Abel review by Saving Abel

• Released: Mar 11, 2008
Saving Abel: Saving Abel

Rock 'n' roll in a myriad of tints including acoustic, folk, country, metal, pop, orchestral, and Southern powered is what Saving Abel deliver on their self-titled debut release. Produced by Skidd Mills (Saliva, Submersed, 12 Stones), the songs grumble with Southern rock bowels reminiscent of Submersed through the guitar cuts of Jason Null and Scott Bartlett. The rhythm section of bassist Eric Taylor and drummer Blake Dixon have the stamina of Finger Eleven, and the racket-pinion steering of lead vocalist Jared Weeks is impressive as he shifts to stay on course with the melodies elevations and dips. Addicted is the band's break out single from the album with modern rock bearings liken to Three Days Grace. The country-tinged acoustic springs opening She Got Over Me are shrouded in mounds of heavy rock fumes which then act as the basin for tracks like 18 Days and Drowning (Face Down). Saving Abel saddle their songs with a thick veneer of Southern rock intonations and coruscate a nu-metal blare in songs like In God's Eyes and New Tattoo. The folk-rock frequency of Sailed Away is barricaded in searing guitar burns, while the orchestral vapors and classic piano tones of Beautiful Day have a romantic lighting, which is rare on this album which is mostly marbled by gritty folk-rock slicks and nu-metal pitched eruptions.

The lyrics feel autobiographical or at least they could be, like in New Tattoo. Weeks narrates, Sometime in the summer of '96 / I was off on a road trip / A couple hundred bucks and a case of beer / Outside Panama City limits is where it all begins / 2am I saw hazard lights / Appeared to be a dame, distressed in the night / She was 5ft. 6 and damn she was built. The rest of the lyrics are spend on telling what it is like experiencing one damn good time with a complete stranger, and still smiling about it long after. Of course, not all of the experiences end up with feelings of elation. There is Drowning (Face Down) as Weeks spills out, I've wondered endlessly and waited for my time to come / I think I'm drowning can someone lend a hand.

It's good to see Southern rock bands making their way up to the surface, and Saving Abel, in a way, is leading the pack. It's not just an album that relates to rock fans in the South, but riles up the mix with an array of tints so classic piano and orchestral strings have a place in Southern rock music. The band makes music with a wide appeal without compromising on their metal rock binges. Saving Abel's name is a biblical reference to the story about Adam and Eve's children, Cain and Abel. The band's guitarist, Jason Null tells on the band's website, I Googled the story of Cain and Abel and found a line about 'there was no Saving Abel,' which just jumped out at me. The band's name was christened right then and there.

Shredder Guitar
    what the hell... they sound nothing like southern rock. i really do not like this band. i mean its great that theyre trying to bring what they think is southern rock to the masses, but the delivery is terrible. Shinedown destroys this band in every way.
    dark_rider92
    Shinedown's been around forever. of course they destroy it. that's not the point, you flaming faggot. the point is that they're a different sound, and they do it very well. just cuz you dont like it doesnt mean they suck. it means you suck at being objective.
    fineagain
    a7xrocks666
    Something tells me Saving Abel's gonna be big. they have an incredible live show and a diverse range of music they can play.
    dash-rendar
    Borrowed this CD from a pal of mine. It was a pretty sweet mass of tunes. But I do agree that Shinedown owns all
    HFR
    fineagain wrote: I listened to this Cd and was kind of skeptical, until I saw them live. Saving Abel puts on a high energy Kick Ass show. The Cd in my opinion dose not do them justice, it dose not bring out the dynamic sound and energy they have on stage. Seeing them live changed my opinion.
    Yeah i saw them when i went to go see A7X, PAPA ROACH AND BUCKCHERRY n they were opening for P roach n i agree they do high energy show it was just a shame evryone was flippin them off telling them they suck..