...Is A Real Boy review by Say Anything

• Released: Aug 3, 2004
Say Anything: ...Is A Real Boy

Max Bemis played every instrument on this album except for percussion. The imperfections are what make the songs feel real and sets them apart from the music that has been churned out by many more popular bands of today. This is not "Emo", it is best classified by Alternative Rock. The songs are so catchy it's borderline ridiculous.

Max Bemis is a poetic genius. His brutal honesty is blatant and in your face. In songs such as, "Admit It", he rants about how he feels about the whole "scene". In "Alive With The Glory Of Love", a song about a love affair with a woman during the Holocaust, Max shows off his sheer brilliance, and how mature he can be for his age. In others songs like, "Every Man Has A Molly", Max shows his sex starved teen side. Either way you will find yourself singing these songs all day long. His voice blends perfectly with the songs and has suprisingly good versatility. If I could Lyrics more than a 10, I would.

This album is possibly one of the best of this decade. The only reason they aren't being played on every radio station on the face of the planet is because Max Bemis wanted to stay "underground" and stay away from the major labels. This album blows away anything the likes of Fall Out Boy could dream of. Every song on the album is amazing in it's own way, I suggest listening to all of them. Warning: highly addictive! So set your iPod to album repeat, press play, recharge, and repeat.

xminority27
    this band's okay. some songs i like, some i don't. they're a pretty great band live too.
    havok_jack
    I agree, Max Bemis' lyrics are great and the guitar work on ...Is A Real Boy is awesome.