Dark Matter Dimensions review by Scar Symmetry

• Released: Oct 2, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Scar Symmetry: Dark Matter Dimensions

As always, Scar Symmetry is just as musically talented as they've ever been with outstanding riffs and solos. Unfortunately it just isn't the same band without Christian. Not only was he one of the best voices in modern metal but he also wrote all of the vocal melodies for the Holographic Universe and most of Pitch Black Progress. The whole album just seems empty without him. The growls are still perfect but the new singer (while still good) just changes the sound too much. The music is still there though.

Very different. No creative kennings used like Holographic Universe and most of the lyrics don't even make sense. A lot of the vocal delivery, while clean, comes in some form of an accent. In "A Parenthesis to Eternity" the singer has trouble just saying the word "clues" and messes it up pretty bad. "cal-lues" it's just clues.. "Observe the sky and you will find Within the sculptor void I lie Now close your eyes and realize Within the sculptor void I rise" The hell does that mean? ugh. We miss you Christian

The band is still there but they totally rushed this album and it's definitely their worst so far. I love them to death but I was extremely disappointed. Without Christian writing the music they have to leave it to the two new guys and while they did a good job for their debut album, it just was way too fast. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. The most impressive song on the album is definitely the "Iconoclast" amazing solos and actually a pretty well sung song. The worst is "Mechanical Soul Cybernetics" probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard.

colm c
    I disagree completely. Its a great album and your Christian fanboyism is annoying. Go listen to Miseration if you only listened to Scar Symmetry for him. This album has great Guitar work showcasing there amazing ability in writing and composisition of fantastic melodies the two new singers are more than capabable replacements and people should move on. Great voices clean and growled,they deliver nothing short of a great perfomance. Catchy songs, well laid out definitely deserves a better review.
    Blas3
    FlamingForce wrote: Good job writing a comparison, a biased one at that. I was hoping for a review.
    +1 for that...