Dark Matter Dimensions review by Scar Symmetry

• Released: Oct 2, 2009
Scar Symmetry: Dark Matter Dimensions

As most of you know, Dark Matter Dimensions (DMD) was the first album without the famed Christian Alvestam. Musically, the band members have all taken a step up. In such songs as "The Iconoclast" and "The Consciousness Eaters", the band shows both their brutal side and their melodic side. The drums have now become a major player, as the double bass is much more prevalant, and the fills and patterns are more technical than ever before. The guitars are thick yet crisp, and the bass is underlying, making the music heavier, but it's there nonetheless. The only issue I have is with the song "Mechanical Soul Cybernetics". I hate the vocals in this song, and the guitars sound like they're pulling off of Meshuggah a bit. Overall, great job musically.

Simply put, the lyrics on this album are just flat out amazing. Take this example from the song, "The Consciousness Eaters". Deep inside the human heart, Aspects of ourselves are shunned To become the mental scavengers So the process starts. Come rejoice in fallen stars Aim to tear the world apart Drain the consciousness of humanity. The two new singers, Roberth Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist, did indeed have big shoes to fill, but fill them they did. Roberth's growls sound straight out of the depths of hell, and his higher vocals (not screams persay) are actually much better than Alvestam's. Lars, on the other hand, is a bit less apt at his cleans, but there are many places where he stands out, IE "A Parenthesis In Eternity". His soaring vocals also take a major role in the happy-sounding chorus of "The Iconoclast". Once again, the only gripe I have is with "Mechanical Soul Cybernetics", but who knows, whoever reads this may like it.

DMD is just about even with Holographic Universe. It has its good parts and its ok parts. "The Iconoclast", "The Consciousness Eaters", "Noumenon and Phenomenon", and "A Parenthesis In Eternity" are definitely the standout tracks on the album. The album is most definitely worth a download, if not a purchase. Fans of Into Eternity, Dark Tranquility, Raintime, and the more melodic of melodic death metal will like this album.

salival111
    Drummer Henrik Ohlsson writes the lyrics. Christian Alvestam did write the vocal melodies (on the first 3 albums) but not the lyrics. I'm pretty sure your IQ isn't high enough to understand half the lyrics anyway.
    nefootball80
    SS is still my favorite band, this CD was really bad though. They definitely reached the peak at HU last year.
    The Tak
    nefootball80
    EpiExplorer
    nefootball80 wrote: Exactlt "The Tak" If you're a Scar Symmetry fan you understand that this is a VERY boring album and isn't their standards.
    The Tak wrote: Boring album, it was a boring album, my god scar symmetry... what the hell happened?
    Grow some balls, fanboys -.e
    JawrshyXD
    The new vocalist blows christian out of the water in my opinion, the old singer sounded more like a metal bon jovi. Don't get me wrong it was pretty cool, but Lars has cleans that far surpass Christian. This is coming from a huge fan of the band since the beginning. Stop sucking Alvestam's balls and appreciate good vocals and music when you hear it.
    Hessian_Peel
    Solution .45's album is better. The new vocalists just don't quite hit it like Christian does. Plus I generally don't think the songs on this album are as good as on Pitch Black Progress or Holographic Universe. Nothing on here quite as memorable
    FlamingForce
    Seriously, UG. This is what fills your so-called "Reviews" section. Fix it, for f**k sake.
    EpiExplorer
    I LOVE IIIT O.O I never really liked Christian anyway, his voice got a bit girly at times.. Lars, on the other hand, adds depth with his slightly deeper voice. Who the hell cares about vocal vibrato? Machine Head dont need it. The CD is immense, best song has to be Radiant Strain, if not that then Nonhuman Era. Worst song is probably Mechanical Soul Cyberbetics, little to no actual singing and the guitars where lackluster, same goes with Ascencion Chamber. Also @ Reviewer 2, most of the lyrics come from the guitarist as well.. Should write my own review. ~.~