Dark Matter Dimensions review by Scar Symmetry

• Released: Oct 2, 2009
Scar Symmetry: Dark Matter Dimensions

A fantastic album from an innovative band. Dark Matter Dimensions is one of my favorite albums of 2009. It sounds beautiful, the guitar work is as always very inventive and the 7-strings add just another dimension to this exceptional album. Its a very rhythmic album, there's alot of syncopation between the guitars and drums here and it really accentuates certain moments here. The lead work is astounding too, some of the most well thought out and well phrased solos and lead are to be heard here and even if you can't stand Death Metal style vocals even to just listen to this for the lead work is satisfying!

Dark Matter Dimensions, where to start, well this is the first album to feature Roberth Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist on vocals. They had big shoes to fill as Christian Alvestam is a formidable frontman but they give one of the best vocal performances I've heard in a long time. Soaring high clean sections and deep growled vocals play off eachother and trade off. Its a very interesting album vocally and requires a few listens to fully understand the complexity behind it. Once again Henrik Ohlsson handles all the writing of lyrics and once again they are of an amazing standard and is some of the most intricate word play in metal today.

Its a departure from they're ealier sound in certain respects but what would you expect from a band replacing they're singer? It's still the same Scar Symmetry only minus Christian but the production here is stellar. Its crisp and clear even with the extra bass provided by the 7-string guitars everything cuts through. The songs aren't as long as on the past records (clocking in at an average of 4mins) but they flow well together and move the album along so your never bored. Its a big, well thought out, exciting album and a must have for SS fans and Metal fans.

Jimmy-G
    Jfischl
    Jimmy-G wrote: How don't the lyrics make sense? Open your mind, see the truth and analyse them. Use your brain! SS have really deep lyrics about the truth of the world that we are all slaves to the Global Elite and their enslaving subliminal messages throughout society! Call me a crazy conspiracy theorist, but do the same to SS!
    That's part of the story the lyrics tell. I watched an interview with Henrik saying that the albums are a continuing story about an oppressed society that realizes the truths of our universe. This album seems to be more about the hidden forces that control all of our universe. (Dark Matter, Hidden Dimensions, Dark Energy) You could turn that into a metaphor about society being controlled by unseen people and powers, but it's a stretch. I totally agree with you about the lyrics being deep though.