Symmetric In Design review by Scar Symmetry

• Released: Sep 6, 2005
Scar Symmetry: Symmetric In Design

Scar Symmetry are unlike other bands. The use of 7 strings and keyboard effects gives the band a heavy, yet melodic sound, appealing to a wide fan base. The drummer in the band is quite possibly one of the best I personally have ever hear. His double bass is incredibly fast and his fills fit in well. The guitars on this album, again, are some of the best I've ever heard. Using down low riffs combined with blistering solos gives Scar Symmetry a unique sound.

The lyrics in the are band unique in the way that they are sung. The lead singer has the ability to alternate between "screaming" and clean vocals throughout the songs. The lyrics themselves are dark sounding, mostly about chaos, destruction, pain and many other themes. The singer has a very bassy voice when he screams, which works well with the guitars, and his clean vocals are a bit higher up, which works well with the higher sounding melodies and keyboards.

Overall impression of this album, and their other one "Pitch Black Process" are ten out of ten. A very unique band that's very worthwhile listening to! The band members are very good at what they play, and that will appeal to all people who love tricky solos, complex drums beats and melodic keyboard work. All of the songs themselves are unique, most of which include speedy solos and intense drumming. Go buy this, now!

TimmerGuitarMan
    "Perhaps the album's only real downfall is overstaying its welcome just a tad toward the end of its generous 12 tracks, but that's a good problem to have, and, overall, Symmetric in Design represents a standout first effort." WTF? I didn't write that!
    ahlblom
    TimmerGuitarMan
    ahlblom wrote: TimmerGuitarMan, why arnt you mentioning the actual lyrics?! and whats the unique thing with mixing clean and growl?! i think your review sucks!
    Fair enough, didn't think to, no point in mentioning the actual lyrics, I was more focused on the sound of them, and their contributions to the music etc
    TimmerGuitarMan
    And the bit about mixing clean and screaming was the way he does it, to me its very unique. He has a very good clean voice, but at the same time a deep growling black metal voice, and variations, you don't hear that too often
    Gambler82
    jeowy
    mods anyone? stop telling eachother that you suck. its a good review, although very biased, which is fair. its a pretty amazing album but personally i wouldnt give it a 10/10. maybe their next album, though. kudos to TimmerGuitarMan for not getting pissed off at ahlblon.
    TimmerGuitarMan
    Jeowy, second album is also awesome! I'd say I personally prefer this one, but there are some amazing tracks on "Pitch Black Process"!
    creepingdeth428
    These guys are amazing live, Their intro is amazing that they play before they go on, if you get a chance go and see them. You wont regret it.
    Swamplord
    Hi confused2316, I'd say listen to Scar Symmetry if you like Soilwork(similar vocals), old In Flames, Children of Bodom, Norther, Kalmah, Nightrage or Dark Tranquility.
    zigslip
    Gambler82 wrote: ahlblom, you suck. Atleast he took the time to write a review about a band he likes. Personally I've never heard of them, but because of his review I will definitely check them out. thank you TimmerGuitarMan. Just to re-iterate my point AHLBLOM YOU ABSOLUTELY SUCK!!!
    you'll love these guys, im a major, 80's glam/shrapnel music kind of guy, and these guys kick ass in my book