Lost In Existence review by Scarlett Ohara

• Released: Sep 13, 2010
Scarlett Ohara: Lost In Existence

Scarlett O'Hara is a new band making a solid image in the hardcore music scene. While their sound is comparable to bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Oceana, The Devil Wears Prada and Asking Alexandria, they set themselves far apart from any hardcore band out right now. I tihnk part of that is because of their screamer, Eddie. He has to be one of the most brutal, fierce, aggressive screamers in the genre. Oli Sykes doesn't even touch Eddie. He makes his talent very clear just 10 seconds into the first song. Every line sounds so harsh, and it really adds a great amount of depth into the music. It's like you can feel his emotion in every word. This guy has talent, beyond that of most screamers. Being hardcore/metalcore, there's breakdowns. I enjoy breakdowns, so I might be a bit biased, but these breakdowns are no joke. These kids (yes, kids, they just finished high school) know exactly what they're doing, and they're doing a damn good job of it. They all don't sound the same either. Some are pretty complex, and others are more simple. But you honestly can't say that one song's breakdown sounds exactly like the other one, unless you're extremely square. The clean singer isn't that great. He has his own kind of style, and it reminds me of the old singer from Sky Eats Airplane (Everything Perfect on the Wrong Day era) to some extent, but not as whiny, which is definitely a plus. There's not as much techno as compared to other bands that come from Rise Records. There's some very faint synth in some parts, and it's not obnoxious like Attack Attack! or whatever your most hated hardcore/metalcore band with a synth is. It doesn't take away from the music at all. I would say that the synth sounds somewhat like how We Came as Romans uses it, to give that more full, orchestra style sound. It fills gaps instead of making bigger ones. A few songs use a little bit of piano. The guitar players have talent, too. Each song sounds significantly different from the other. There are sick licks everywhere in each song. They know exactly what they're doing with the breakdowns, and they know how to sound musical. No where does the guitar just sound like "noise," or like it doesn't fit. The parts come together incredibly well, which is great because some of the bands in this genre don't play far from powerchords, chugging and bass string riffs. Overall, their sound is pretty diverse and sets them apart from bands in the genre.

Like a lot of the new music coming out, even on a debut album, the lyrics have a "sell-out" kind of style to them. Not every song on the album sounds like that. These lyrics definitely have some depth and meaning. Nothing too crazy to give you goosebumps every time you hear it, but some lines are pretty memorable. Some lines leave a lot to be desired. The clean singer fits in very well with Eddie's harsh screaming. It adds a very good balance to the sound. It's nothing amazing, but it definitely works, and quite well.

This is an excellent debut album. They're a pretty unknown band (they've been signed for a little over 6 months, I believe), and it's really sad because they're damn good. Especially live, which isn't very common in a lot of new bands. Each song is very impressive, especially in comparison to other bands in the genre. Lost in Existence will leave you wanting more, but not in an unsatisfied kind of way. Since they're touring and not going to record for awhile, you might as well listen to the CD a few more times. I love the uniqueness of the screaming and the drums. The clean singing is pretty average, but it fits and sounds pretty good, so I can't complain too much. It could be longer, 10 tracks and 32 minutes later. Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with this CD. I was a little bit afraid at first that it would be a little too heavy for my tastes, but after I heard their new singles, I was hooked. I can't get enough. I'm looking forward to a sophomore CD and seeing them live again knowing their songs.

mastaweva
    i dont understand why everybody is hating on this band. they may sound like other bands, but i dont think they sound too much like other bands. they have enough of their own flare in there, and they make sick as balls breakdowns/ little diddly riffs
    r0ckth3d34n
    I've never heard anyone say that they hate Scarlet O'Hara. They're not well enough known to even be hated.
    mastaweva
    youtube one of their videos, all the comments are of hating on Scarlet O'Hara.or go to like lushbeat and the like websites. they get like 2 stars
    ozarkdegree
    I mean what 20+yo, who's band has gotten no where or even in one, wouldn't hate some kids who got what they themselves would dream about in high school. Seriously people when are you going to learn NO ONE gives a shit wether you like a band or not. So stop being angry little fags and move on to whomever you think is on your pathetic level.