Scars on Broadway review by Scars on Broadway

• Released: Jul 29, 2008
Scars on Broadway: Scars on Broadway

Skepticism is a word very largely used when former band-mates announce a hiatus and a side-project attempt. I'm sure we were all skeptical, especially since there was never any definition of who was the true talent behind System Of A Down. Serj's album was very unique and so, I'm sure we were all satisfied, and even prepared for a let down with Scars On Broadway. Now though, I'm thrilled to say that "Daron Malakian's side project" did not disappoint. I'm even beginning to think that maybe the split of the hard rock icons was for the better. Scars on Broadway brings the hard punk style we could always feel so slightly in System of A Down, and breaths a new, creative, and startling sound to the music scene. Though there is a faint familiar sound coming from this band. For those of you who have heard the leaked Guns N' Roses material, you'll notice a resemblance between the two bands. With just the guitar in Scars on Broadway though, you can sense a metal, punk, rock, and dare I say a soul sound to the music. The blend of these elements, along with the subtle touch that Daron Malakian provides in his vocal talent create something that comes close to crossing chaos, but reaches greatness on its way.

Can anything compare to the strange lyrics of Daron Malakian? They grab you from where you're standing and confuse the hell out of you. If you think with them though, you'll find that they carry a sinister stare and a meaningful message. Following the topics of love, politics, society, the future, death, drugs, and of course, prostitution, there is undoubtedly room to speak. The way they flow with the sound of Scars On Broadway is no less than fitting. Interpretation is all of the listener though.

I think it should be known, that this album will likely never be a hit. MTV won't pick up on it, and it won't receive excessive radio play. Never fret though. This album will hit airwaves in a light, subtle way, giving those who do come across it the chance to truly enjoy it. Chances are there are a few songs on here that don't exactly speak to you, or stand out at all. I find that to be normal with any album. The sound of this album is not at all the smiling face of mainstream media. There is very little to complain about with this album, if this is your type of music. Songs like Serious, World Long Gone, and Babylon are very catchy, but maintain a strong, unique sound you wouldn't normally find with a hard rock album. We are, of course, talking about one of the masterminds behind System Of A Down though, and with that alone in his portfolio, you've got to hold some faith that the first impression won't fade; and it doesn't.