Scars on Broadway review by Scars on Broadway

• Released: Jul 29, 2008
Scars on Broadway: Scars on Broadway

I've been a huge System Of A Down fan for as long as I've appreciated music, and as much as people have criticised Malakian's contribution into the making of their last two albums, Mesmerize/Hypnotize, I was still eager to find out what Scars on Broadway had to offer. The opening track "Serious" immediately sends you into the direction they are going and you get an direct feel for the new sound. Most tracks have really catchy, unique and original riffs, if not with guitars, with keyboards dubbed with heavy effects. There are moments, when you can clearly hear System Of A Down seeping through with sounds from their first album. I find it hard to place the sound in a genre which suits them best. Scars On Broadway cover a great deal of ground where all songs have more than just guitars, bass, and drums. Each song has been tailored to perfection and give out an original sound which is frequently seeked out for.

Compared to Daron's previous work the lyrics have improved in places but suffered in others. There were times when I felt the lyrics had a deep meaning and some lines are very clever that you clearly have to have a talent to think them up. However there were other times when I felt, Daron had to end the verse somehow and couldn't think up of anything better. For example "I'll piss on your face while you suck on my cock" doesn't really match up to "If were going to kill each other how are we gonna live forever, if were gonna live forever how we going to kill eachother?" One clearly has a meaning that you have to seek out whilst sounding decent, whereas the other may have a meaning but sounds slightly immature. The album as a whole is filled with poetic genius and this is where Malakian makes up for everything that could possibly be wrong.

Malakian's objective was not to produce an album just like System Of A Down. But I would recommend Scars On Broadway to anybody that has enjoyed listening to System Of A Down throughout any part of their career. If you really loved System for who they were and what they created then you shall enjoy this album to the full.