Scars on Broadway review by Scars on Broadway

• Released: Jul 29, 2008
Scars on Broadway: Scars on Broadway

Scars on Broadway, formed by former SOAD (System of a Down) guitarist, Daron Malakian shows a fresh start of something geat to come. Malakian, accompanied by former SOAD drummer John Dolmayan show us their is definetaly life after death for these ex-SOAD members. Daron (who wrote song's for SOAD) gives us more or less 15 great songs which each sound special in their own way, some of them with a hint of SOAD to them as Daron had mentioned himself: "When the music comes out, it will still be structured, just like System of a Down's music is". But getting away from SOAD, Scars On Broadway are off to a great start with this album, leaving me wanting more. They take their influence of classic rock and infuse it with electronica in a few of their songs. You would think that the result would be disasterous, but Scars On broadway have nailed it perfectly. For a debut album, their off to a good start.

The lyrics in the whole of this album are very politically based: "If we're gonna kil each other, How we gonna' live for ever?" or "I know it's really hard to see, That we are the enemy of the Earth". Basically this album is trying to get the message out, that if we don't change the way things are soon, we're all going to end up dead or create a very unstable world. As for Daron's singing, he always (in my opinion) had a quirkier more eccentric voice which I prefered than Serj Tankian who was lead vocals. Daron's voice is melodic and has a very wide range, although not hitting many low notes but that doesn't spoil it that much.

Scars On Broadway, to me, is a classic album, one which is definetaly worth buying whether your a SOAD fan or not. I think there in a song in this album that will appeal to somebody, whether is the hard-rock "Stoner Hate" or the soft-rock "Whoring Streets". The most impressive songs in this album in my opinion would have to be "Exploding-Reloading" or "They Say," both disconnecting themselves from that "System Of A Down side project" stereotype that Scars On Broadway have somehow picked up. In my overall view on this album, it would definately be one you have to own. I call it a classic.

downvictim
    sebasoil wrote: nimrod_hahahaha wrote: OThugSd wrote: I had to sit and listen to this album in it's entirety at a friend's house and it was painful. I was never a huge SOAD fan, but I could appriciate their originality. That's gone here. It's generic as hell and the songs' pop structures get repetitive too quickly. These guys relied just on Daron's uncommon sounding vocals to write a whole album around and it fails. +99999 +1
    did any of you guys even listen to chemicals? Generic? blahhhhh. listen to the whole album beys.
    leftajarandy
    To anyone thinkin of gettin this. If you do. Give it a chance. The more you listen to it the better it gets. Trust me.
    OThugSd
    sebasoil
    shotgunjoe
    I think a lot of the songs sound kinda samey, and Darons voice can become grating, but apart from that I think the album is great. Id agree that it was kinda written around Darons vocals/lyrics, and a lot of the time thats not a good idea. I just think its a fun record, like SOAD doing pop music.
    TooFast
    I really like this album. I didn't at first, but now I do. I'd say it's better than the last two SOAD albums.
    Alpha_Wolf
    I got this album just a few days ago, and I really like it. My favorite song would have to be 'Insane'. And did anyone else think that most of the songs were really short?
    hurricanes67
    i liked the album, i just thought it got really repetitve with the lyrics in a lot of the songs.
    One Inch Man
    I love the album. the songs are getting better and better and they stick together. you have to listen to the whole album!
    Psycho Pigeon
    I don't know why people listen to their solo projects expecting SOAD, it's so stupid. Scars don't sound anything like SOAD.
    ZOMBIExx
    This CD is amazing. Also, what CD is UG team listening to? XD It's "World Long Gone" not "World Gone Wrong". The "We're On Drugs" part that they said was part of Chemicals is in Enemy. And as fireyqwerty said, it's "suck on my cock", not "suck on my dick" in Chemicals.
    fireyqwerty
    stop bitching about Soad not being together and just listen to it, cause this a a really cool album and one of my new favorite bands personally, Oh and Ug team, it's "suck on my cock" not dick in chemicals, get your quotes right
    Necrosaber
    It was a pretty damn good album. Alot of people won't even give it a decent listen because of all the false rumors about the hiatus, but if you look past those, you can enjoy this record. I was expecting it to be a really sucky album, but I'm glad I was proven wrong.
    Aftertime
    i quite like this album, but too bad there just isnt a song that really POPs out of the bunch for me.
    zombiekangaroo
    i got this album the day it came out, i love it hardcore, its just another system album, missing serj. daron really did something here, btw STONE HATE is the best song on that album
    brantley23
    im surprised nobody mentioned that on some songs whether you want to or not you can hear Serj Tankian on the backing vocals. being an SOAD fan it is just there and in my head. anyways, really like the album, has sort of the mez/hyp feel to it.
    Lauri
    Love this album. Of course, it's just missing one touch: Serj and Shavo . But this is a great album (not to sure about Chemicals...) My favorite song is defiantly Enemy, it's so funky. It does remind me of SoaD alot too.
    nimrod_hahahaha