Scary Kids Scaring Kids review by Scary Kids Scaring Kids

• Released: Aug 28, 2007
Scary Kids Scaring Kids: Scary Kids Scaring Kids

The sound of Scary Kids is about the same, it follows off where their previous album, "The City Sleeps In Flames" left off. Very fast paced, very catchy. At my first listen I thought it was mediocre and not really impressive, but as I now write this, my opinion has changed dramatically. At first I thought their first single, "Faces" was their strongest track. But with it's cliche lyrics, and generic sound, it gets lost with every other band in this genre of music. But what differs from "TCSIF" is that they attepmted to appeal to the listener with some slow songs and interlues, which I believe are a waste and just filler for the CD, which has 16 tracks. SKSK doesn't have the style, nor impression to make an acoustic song and make it sound amazing.

Probably the weakest part of the album is the lyrics. They are all very generic emotional lyrics about commiting suicide, to losing your girlfriend, bleeding, etc. but some are a little more advanced in comprehension but are just as easilly deciphered over one listen. Which is fine in the end, since I kinda think that people tend to think that great lyrics are essential to a successfull album, but SKSK just makes a great sound, making up for it.

For me I just skip the slow slongs if I were you, you wont miss much. But despite all of the slow songs, SKSK really hits well with their fast paced attack with everything else. 01. Prelude - just the intro to the CD, it really flows with the next track. 02. Degenerates - great opening track, especially the first verse. The ending really changes up and finishes the song up well. 03. Holding On - pretty good keyboard in the verses, and catchy guitar, work, and excellent chorus. 04. The Deep End - my personal favorite, the chorus is kinda cheesy but amazingly catchy, but the second pre-chorus is what does it for me. 05. Faces - the first single, it's an OK song, but very generic song, and as everyone says, lame lyrics, but it's very catchy so. 06. A Pistol To My Temple - it's alright, I actually heard the intro played on Sunday Night Football, when they went to a commercial, the verses are good, but the chorus, and the breakdown part are kinda lame. 07. Stars Crossed - it's very generic, might even get confused with other songs on the CD, but the lyrics I think stand out compared to the others, which isn't saying much. 08. Derailed - the best part of this song is that's it's less than 2 minutes. I tried hard to like it but I just can't flow with it. 09. Breathe - a little intrumental, what they meant by it, maybe just to slow things down and maybe take in the first half of the CD, since it is the track marking halfway point. 10. Set Sail - this song has very good verses, and it flows well, in my opinion it shows off the vocals very well. One of the softer fast songs on the CD. 11. Free Again - just another fast paced song, showing their harder side, it goes pretty good. Stands out a little bit, with all the screaming and all. 12. Snake Devil - at first I was immediately turned off, despite my love for the southern style of the opening riff, but when it gets to the verses, I got suckered into the song (I kinda get suckered into any alt. emo southern style). But great guitar works as well, the solo is generic but neccessary to the song. Chorus is very SKSK style. 13. Watch Me Bleed - if it was shorter it would be a slow song I would listen to as well it doesnt't fit with their fast paced attack on the CD, it slowed too much down. Kinda awkward to listen to, especially right after listening to "Snake Devil". 14. Goes Without Saying - I dislike this song every aspect, the chorus is bad, and the guitar doesnt't suit me as well, but the ending shines some light, but they are basically repeating the songs name over and over and over. 15. Blood Runs Forever - after having a slow song, then the sudden explosion of this song, kinda shocks you. But one of the stronger songs IMO, if you make it this far into the CD, it's a secret treasure. Will most likely not be noticed by those who listen to the first 6 tracks over and over. 16. The Power Of Resolution - just ambient vocals and some simple guitar nothing special, just an outro really. I really only graded on the worthwhile songs. the others had no meaning, what they were thinking, so I'll give it a 9 for all of the excellent songs, their style is fast paced hard hitting guitar, not slow melodic, nice attempt, but no doubt a great album. If it was stolen I'd still buy it again.