Eye II Eye review by Scorpions

• Released: Mar 9, 1999
Scorpions: Eye II Eye

Eye II Eye sounds and looks like nothing the Scorpions have done before. With the opening track "Mysterious" you already get the message that they have changed their style for once. Laid back rhythms are shown and a relaxed sound has been adopted. You could say they are experimenting with techno/pop music, yet it is neither. It has a bit of a progressive flow to it as a whole. I like it a lot, and I think it's very daring for a band this old to release something this strange. This change of sounds is by no means negative in outcome, I think it's very positive.

Are you used to Klaus Meine's highpitched vocals, then this will be a disappointment. He makes more use of his lower register on this album, and sometimes tends to sing on a dirty low pimp-ish voice, which does add a lot to the quality of the music, and the overal feel you get by it. The lyrics are not of any greater quality than they have ever been, they are as usual mostly about love and girls. "Eye to Eye" however is about the fathers of Rudolf Schenker and Klaus Meine, who I take it have deceased. Since the lyrics are mostly not really serious (with an exception of a few songs), the songs have the same feel to them, in which cases the lyrics make the song. Relaxed lyrics make relaxed songs.

If I were to compare Eye II Eye to any other album made by the Scorpions, then I would conclude that this is their best album yet. This is such a powerful record, from beginning to end, and has songs that no album in the past had. The most impressive songs are "Skywriter", "Aleyah" and "Freshly Squeezed". Especially that last song is so very experimental, and that's what I really love about this album. The overal feel to it is very positive. Not only that, but the photographs inside the booklet are very nice as well. If this album was stolen I would just go to the basement and take out second copy.

Skuzzmo
    almadacr
    I think that Humanity is a stronger album but this is just my opinion
    Hell Kaiser Ryo
    Skuzzmo wrote: Good. I like the scorps so i'll check this out.. btw. is it me but on that photo does Klaus Mein look like holly off Red dwarf. Norman Lovett FTW! lol
    Right you are, he DOES look like Holly..
    blknwhtstrat
    cultwolf
    Skuzzmo : Good. I like the scorps so i'll check this out.. btw. is it me but on that photo does Klaus Mein look like holly off Red dwarf. Norman Lovett FTW!
    WOW, I used to think the same thing when this album came out!!
    District
    blknwhtstrat wrote: i am probably one of the biggest scorpions fans alive on this planet and let me yell to the sky.... THIS IS THE WORST ALBUM THEY EVER MADE!!!!! if you like the scorpions (fly to the rainbow through crazy world-/1970-1990) you will be highly disappointed. after this failed experiment,they ran back to their heavier guitar based sound. 2004's Unbreakable, and 2007's Humanity are highly recommended if you like i, love that classic, unique scorpions sound. they will be touring this year as well, and really put on an amazing show. my recommendation, do like the scorpions do, pretend this album never came out.
    Why I like Eye II Eye is just because it's finally something different than the continuous old school metal that they make. Sure, I like that too, but Eye II Eye has much more 'style' and 'uniqueness', and above all, it 'grooves'.
    dubac111
    I can say you.. This is the worst album they ever made.. Singing is not good, this is simply not Scorpions.. Scorpions are Blackout, Humanity : Hour One, Animal Magnethism.,.. not Eye to Eye.. I hate that album..
    dubac111
    I hate this album! This is the worse albou they ever made! Blackout, Humanity, Animal magnethism, Crazy world.. They are great.. But Eye II Eye,... I hate it!