Humanity - Hour 1 review by Scorpions

• Released: May 15, 2007
Scorpions: Humanity - Hour 1

I felt it was time for me to finally indulge in some of Scorpions' newer music. I've listened to there most popular and older music for while now. But was a bit afraid to take a step into one of their albums such as Unbreakable or Eye II Eye albums due to poor reviews. So I waited for one of this album. "Humanity Hour I" After listening to this album I can see a large volume of changes they've been going through. If it weren't for Klaus Meine's vocals I would've mistaken this for another band. The music is very good though. The songs are much heavier. And have rhythms that can send chills down your spine. There's just one thing though, Rudolf Schenker doesn't seem to have such a prominent stand in these albums. I really wish his solos were longer and more dominant like in previous albums before 1990.

The vocals remain as clever as ever in this new album. The lyrics are perfect, but I wanted to really here Klause Meine's voice soar louder and higher pitched, but faced disappointment on that expectation. He seemed to have more control or restriction over his pitch in this album, which gave the pitch a duller feel than in older albums, he seems to sing much happier in songs like "Rock You Like A Hurricane" or "Big City Nights". Which was a part of why I listen to them a lot. It kind of feels depressing when you compare the the vocals between this album and the older stuff. It was also a bit hard to hear Klause Meine's voice over the louder and heavier songs too. I got used to hearing him soar over the rhythm guitar, with Rudolph doing his leads.

Scorpions has definitely taken a different direction in this album. I like the heavier rhythm guitar they adopted, but in my opinion the lead guitar should have had more of a powerful appearance. A good example of what I'm talking about is on the 2:50 time mark of "Your Last Song" or the 2:55 mark on "Love Is War". Those solos soar so high, my mood went up a notch listening to those songs. I just want more of that through out the album. This is definitely a good buy for a Scorpions fan though. Regardless of the changes they made, I enjoyed every bit of Humanity Hour 1. These were just my thoughts on how they could've made it better.

dimitri.pravdin
    I've been listening to this album over and over again since 08. I don't know why it clicks with me more than almost any music. Probably coz with climate change, environmental collapse and all the shitty politics & economics, things are looking pretty dark. But they sing of hope too. Hope that we make, not the bread and circuses given by politicians. Here's to Humanity Hour I!
    Joey Radical
    Klaus will be 60 this may! And he still is one of the most rocking singers of rock! And Rudolf Schenker is one of the coolest guitarists ever! (nice rhythm player as well) And this album is awesome, you wouldn't think a bunch of 60 years old did this, because it's quite heavy!
    figerade
    Many great albums came out in 07....Snakes & Arrows (Rush) Humanity Hour I, Fear of a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree), Aint Life Amazing (Kim Mitchell), Sixx AM, The Fragile Army (Poly Spree), Born Into This (The Cult), and Year Zero (NIN).