Love at First Sting review by Scorpions

Scorpions: Love at First Sting

Scorpions are a real underrated band in respects. First off, the guitar tandem that is Rudolf Schenker and Matthias Jabs is very unique. Schenker is a solid writer and Jabs is one of my favorite 80s guitarists. The tones they put out are, while not the most unique, is very fitting for the band, and offsets Klaus Meine's pretty boy voice well. The bass and drums are solid as well. Sure, Herman Rarebell is no Neil Peart, but then again neither is Tommy Lee. The guitar playing is real nice on this album. On some tracks, like Still Loving You and the first part of Coming Home are light, power ballad, while tracks like The Same Thrill and Rock You Like A Hurricane are more in-your-face. Very typical Scorpions, they love mixing it up on every album. But as the saying goes, people are a product of their enviroment, and these guys were '80s metal. I can't help but compare these guys to a dozen other bands, like Skid Row for one. They just aren't the most original sounding band, but good writing always shines through.

No one can say Klaus Meine is a bad singer. He has a good vocal range and a nice tone, but I can't say the same about his lyrics, which are not always solid to me. Don't get me wrong, some tracks, like Still Loving You, the lyrics make the song, but I can only take so much of those hit songs from bands. In this case, its Rock You Like a Hurricane. It has hit single all over it. But on the weaker lyric tracks, Klaus Meine more than makes up for it with his beauitful sounding pipes. You also have to consider a few years prior to this album, he underwent surgery on his vocal cords. So you have to give him props.

Overall, despite its weak points and high points, Love At First Sting is a fantastic buy. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to buy it again, but I had trouble finding it in the first place. So I might just then just burn a copy, but then I don't get the suggestive cover, which is my favorite album cover because of its daring scene. If your chosing between this album and another Scorpions album, get this one. Its a solid insight on what the band is and was all about.

Black Dragons
    Scorpions is the most underratted band in history!!! This album al long with other scorpions albums is great
    EddieVanAidan
    They are probably i think a massively underated band, all the riffs are good, (coming home, Rock you like a hurricane, big city nights, still loving you and bad boys running wild on it, and i've heard i'm leaving you a few times.) probably one of there best albums along with blackout, animal magnetism and world wide live!
    Nilcerise
    this band is clearly underratted, true heavy rock klaus meine would rock any ass with the killer voice he has, nothing about this band can be even considered bad or shitty savage amusement rocks too hard
    SG Lefty
    The dictionary of Metal..let's go to the 'S' section. you definitely won't see Scorpions on the word 'sellout'. But maybe not for Scorpions either.They would pretty much have their own dictionary with pictures and nothing but great comments. Scorpions rock!