Love at First Sting review by Scorpions

• Released: Jan 1, 1984
Scorpions: Love at First Sting

Scorpions biggest international success "Love At First Sting" debuted to the world on March 27, 1984. It was the 4th album they release to world as a mainstream act rather than a rock/blues act like they were up until 1979's "Lovedrive" album. Having hits in the US like 1979's "Loving You Sunday Morning" and "Holiday", 1980's "Falling In Love" and "The Zoo", and the monster hit off 1982's "Blackout" album "No One Like You". By 1984 they US had a strong grasp on the band, but what they didn't know is Germany's Scorpions were literally about the rock the US hard rock and metal community like a hurricane. The album's opener "Bad Boys Running Wild" starts with bilistering guitars that leads into a kick-a** guitar riff, grabbing a hold you and not letting go for the next 41 minutes. Guitarist Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker really kicked the machine into overdrive on this album producing riff after riff hook after hook. The next song on the album is "Rock You Like A Hurricane". Now if you have been around since 1984-Present and you're able to hear you've heard this song at least once in your life. "I'm Leaving You" is the third song on this album. This is one of my favorite songs on this album it has all the qualities of the perfect hard rock jam. It has a monster guitar sound, an extremely 70s sound with the vocals, and a amazing but simple rhythm section. After you get past the next to killer songs "Coming Home" and "The Same Thrill" you hit the album's next hit "Big City Nights". This is an absolute classic that will forever stand the test of time. Next are the tracks "As Soon As The Good Times Roll" and "Crossfire" before hitting the last hit and song on the album the haunting, monster ballad "Still Loving You". How the effects were put on Klaus' vocals is eerie giving it the lonely feeling the song has.

Scorpions' lyrics have always been straight to the point and this album isn't any different. Going off the 80s hard rock style it covers heartbreak, good times, and rock 'n' roll. When it comes to vocals Klaus Meine was at his peak on this album and is some of his best vocal ever. When Klaus recorded this you can tell he was pushing to stand out even more than before with the American crowds giving them what they wanted to hear.

Overall this is the best Scorpions album of the ones from the 80s. The songs that stand out most aren't even the monster hits that you always hear and that are always over-played. If you get this album skip the hits and start with "Bad Boys Running Wild", "I'm Leaving You", "Coming Home" the hits will ruin the rest of the album for you, because you'll just want to keep listening to those. I hate that they are going to be packing it up for good so if your a new learn the songs and catch them live and enjoy this amazing band and these amazing songs.

MaggaraMarine
    "Crossfire" is my favorite song on the album. It's just so dramatic. Oh, and of course followed by my second favorite "Still Loving You" (yeah, a cliche but you can't deny it, it's an awesome song). I actually preferred the hit songs over the rest of the songs on this album. Some of them just kind of repeated themselves. I mean, if you listen to the album from the beginning to the end, some of the songs are too similar, at least to my ears. I didn't really get too excited about their faster songs. The songs that stand out to me are the hit songs (and "Crossfire" because it's just so different compared to the other songs).