Sting in the Tail review by Scorpions

• Released: Mar 19, 2010
Scorpions: Sting in the Tail

Guitarist Rudolf Schenker emphasized in recent interviews that the 17th Scorpions album Sting In The Tail also the official last release from the legendary rockers would be seeped in the sound that characterized his band's heyday in the 1980's. So did the German quintet successfully recapture the spirit of such classics as Rock You Like A Hurricane and Send Me An Angel? Absolutely. Some fans might have wished that Schenker and the gang would have experimented or been a bit bolder for their swan song, but given the nostalgia craze, The Scorpions made the right move. From the opening track Raised On Rock, Sting In The Tail shows off the trademark Scorpions' formula: infectious riffs that dominate the musical intros, vocalist Klaus Meine's powerhouse vocals (a feat pretty amazing for a 61-year-old), and instantly hummable choruses. Raised On Rock in particular features an opening full of power chords that have a striking similarity to Rock You Like A Hurricane. It's a comparison that is obviously intended as soon as we hear Meine utter the lyrics, I was born in a hurricane. Of course, we can't forget that their biggest international hit was of the laid-back variety with Wind of Change. There are a couple offerings on the album that draw from that mellower, more introspective side of The Scorpions, who in the end do sound like they're just as enthused as they did back when they ruled many an MTV rotation playlist. While the core of each song is derived from a pretty standard rock sound, The Scorpions add some flare to the 11 tracks. Slave Me includes some intriguing Middle Eastern-influenced licks from Matthias Jabs, while Meine delivers some of his most odd-yet-fascinating vocal stylings in the title track. Rather than the silky smooth singing you might expect, Meine introduces a gruff, almost growling vocalization. While it might not sound as, well, pretty as his usual technique, it certainly grabs your attention. The album doesn't shy away from balladry, with The Good Die Young and Lorelei succeeding at carrying on the torch passed by Send Me An Angel and the ber-hit Wind of Change. Once again, there isn't anything that will shock or surprise in the arrangements of these ballads, but they are still more pleasing to the ear than most other bands' attempts at slower material these days. The final song The Best Is Yet To Come is somewhat of a tearjerker when the theme comes to light. Between the crescendo chorus and the lyrical content discussing how growing old doesn't mean an end to loving life, it makes for a fitting and extremely moving finish for a band that is going out with grace.

While the bulk of the songs on the album feature your trademark rock-and-roll lyrics (love and sex are still favorite topics), they are a perfect fit for the musical style The Scorpions chose. You'll get a big helping of lyrics in the vein of No One Like You, and it's actually refreshing to hear that the band isn't about to take itself too seriously in 2010. The final track, as mentioned earlier, conveys one of the most heartfelt messages from The Scorpions (with the exception of Wind of Change) and the band couldn't have selected a better song for the album's closer.

Is it better to be safe than sorry? In The Scorpions' case, yes. Every song you hear on Sting In The Tail doesn't stray too far from the sound that has peppered the other 16 full-length records throughout the band's career, particularly during the 1980's. At this stage in the game, The Scorpions are living out their last few years as a thriving band (the upcoming world tour ensures they'll be together a bit longer) for the fans. What they deliver is familiar, comfortable, and riff-fueled, and that's not such a terrible way to end your career.

Timoros
    First! This is going to be awesome. I'm buying the album. Supporting The Scorps to the very end! I really wish I could see them live again before it's too late. Two times is (by far) not enough!
    thrashmonkey
    I need to get this. "If you say you don't like the Scorpions, you're lying. At least a little bit." -Alexi Laiho
    Melvin7727
    The Scorpions are one of those bands that I couldn't possibly find a song by them that I don't like. The only thing I was a bit disappointed by was the lack of strong lead harmonies. I always loved that from the Scorpions (like in No One Like You, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Big City Nights, and the Wind of Change). But then I gave a big "HELL YEAH!" at around the 3:55 mark in "SLY."
    Danjo's Guitar
    BeetusMaster wrote: At first I thought that they're ending becuase of their age, but then I thought, what if they're ending because they can't compete with all this new, hip kids crap they're putting out? I mean, the more society ruins music, the more we're going to see bands releasing their last album. Well, Scorpions had a great run, and I'm honored that they got this far.
    Ouch, thats a painful thought. I don't buy it though, there are still plenty of us who know what real music is. They're retiring because they think its time to retire. And just because they aren't making new stuff doesn't mean their music will die out, not by a long shot.
    EdguyRule_22
    I read this review then bought it on i-tunes. It's a really sweet album. Worth a look-see.
    fretman5000
    damn didnt even know they released an album today. im buyin it im sure itll b great
    fadetoblack84
    I'm going to miss them letting out albums, they have had the same sound their entire career, which is extremely difficult to find these days, especially after 16 albums. Hopefully this one will be great as well.
    JFRules
    Awesome band and a killer last album. I'm really impressed! Just downloaded it from Itunes ohh ya!
    BeetusMaster
    At first I thought Scorpions were ending because of their age, but then I thought, what if they're ending because they can't compete with all this new, hip, kids crap they're putting out? I mean, the more society ruins music, the more we're going to see bands releasing their final albums. Well, Scorpions had a great run, and I'm happy they've made it this far.
    BeetusMaster
    BAntonio
    End of an era with an Awesome band...I wish the Scorps the best!!! Rock won't be the same without them..... ~Wind of Change~
    w77yyz
    Never say never. My cynical side tells me that they'll be back when the bank accounts run low and some promoter waves a wad of money in front of them. As for the album, will give it a sampling and see.
    highwind5150
    Incredible album...and as the review stated The Best is Yet to Come is quite the tearjerker.
    Ali-b912
    dmitry_a wrote: Well... its better they go off on a high with people begging them to reconsider, then keep trudging on releasing inferior stuff until people beg them to stop.
    Definitely
    dmitry_a
    DarkValo666
    klassikaren wrote: It's sad to hear it's the last one, but I hope at least they wont stop touring. I'm bying this!
    They said they're going to split up after this farewell tour, so there won't be any more touring as well.
    klassikaren
    mahfuz1699
    I was really shocked listening to their last album 'sting in the tail'. I wonder how scorpions could end their career with such an awful album. This album is the glowing instance of their exhausted and worn-out music. Most of the songs are shadows of their previous hits. This is utterly depressing. I still cannot believe how such a talented band could steal their own music. They could have taken much more time in producing their last album so that it became a memorable fairwell. As a die-hard fan of scorpions I could not accept their docile nosedive. Scorpions is a history now. They have been defeated by their own creations. Even their last album 'humanity hour 1' was thousand times better than this trash. Sorry for being too candid, but I couldn't help expressing my true opinion.