The Great Divide review by Scott Stapp

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
Scott Stapp: The Great Divide

The sound, besides Stapp's voice, which has clearly declined since Weathered Creed's 3rd album, it sounds like Creed. Basically meaning, the drumming is the same as it was with creed, (drumming sounds the same in all mainstream bands really) and the guitar sounds alot alike, with the exception of the skill parts of the songs. Just because Stapp's new guitarist can sound like Tremonti when he hits chords, doesn't mean he's as good, he's just using the same equipment. Scott Stapp takes credit for this by the way, saying that he showed him how to get that Creed sound (it's called Drop D).

Lyrics I'm gonna say are better for Stapp than they were with creed because hes actually being honest for once. His true christian side comes out, funny from a guy who always claimed he wasn't a christian. This is really the only thing that seperates "Scott Stapp" from "Creed" as far as the label on CD, the fact that Stapp can write as much jesus loving music as he wants.

Of course this will be compared to Creed, I'd rather compare to Alter Bridge, One Day Remains CD to Stapp's Great Divide, the firsts works of both artists as a new. Keep in mind Stapp has 3 new guys behind him. Tremonti Phillips and Marshall have 1 new guy, and they made such a larger improvement. Stapp kept to the same formula because he just wants to sell records and he was convinced he was all people liked in Creed, his debut on Billboard of 19th in the years busiest shopping week proved otherwise (AB was 5 in August). Tremonti furthered his Guitar work by a factor of 10 on One Day Remains, Phillips went so much further with his drumming than any of the Creed CD's, yet Stapp has remained the same, and hired 3 other musicians to mimic a group of guys from an era which was not their prime. This CD was what I expected, crap, I didn't buy it I downloaded it and listend to it 3 times all the way through, nothing impressive, stay away from it. Stick with AB, you'll see where the real talent was.