The Great Divide review by Scott Stapp

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
Scott Stapp: The Great Divide

I read some of the reviews given for this album, and some of them are very negative. I am probably one of the biggest Creed fans alive today, but I have different beliefs about Scott Stapp than what I have read. I am a firm believer in trying your best, and also, the dare-to-be-different theory. It does sound a bit "Creed-ish," but I believe Scott is smart in realizing where his voice sounded best with which sound, so it isn't such a ludacris idea to try to continue the amazing recording work that only Scott himself can do. I also believe that some reviews I read in particular, are from very bitter people, about the whole Creed break-up ordeal. I am sympathetic to these feelings, but I believe in giving everyone a fair chance. I admit that at first, I didn't give Scott a chance and based a decision on that, claiming the album was garbage and that the song "The Great Divide" was the best thing on the album, which wasn't saying much. After I caught myself doing this, however, I tended to be a little more open minded and allowed myself to fully listen to the album and actually take in what he is trying to express. So now that I have seen this miscalculation in my own action, I must whole-heartedly admit that I do like the album alot. So anyone who can say that this is a bad album is being totally rediculous about the situation, and needs to step back and seriously consider why they feel this way about it.

I think that the lyrics are a bit more of the same, but somewhat different, which also worked for Scott's vocal tone. His voice is inspiration to many, and also a musical trademark such as Steven Tyler's yell, or the undenyable unique guitar playing of Mark Tremonti himself. When you hear the voice, you automatically know who is singing the song. I think, which everything written is strictly "in my opinion", that the ability that Scott has to put his lyrics into music, and actually make it sound good, as well as great to listen to, is nothing short of phenomenal. I think that Scott has always been a wonderful artist, and I believe he will continue to do so.

I think the album is great as a whole, but if I had to choose certain songs, the ones that impressed me the most were; "Broken," "Surround Me," "Sublime" and "The Great Divide." I have to try not to compare this to other albums, simply because I believe that it wasn't meant to be compared to anything else and the artist wasn't trying to put himself out there to be better than everyone else. I believe that he was only trying to make an album that people would enjoy listening to, and to do his best with his new position in the musical media. Everyone asked, "What's Scott Stapp gonna do now?" Well, you got your answer. So I say, give it a chance then, as with anything else, if you dont like it, dont listen to it.