The Great Divide review by Scott Stapp

• Released: Nov 22, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 1.7 Junky
Scott Stapp: The Great Divide

The song the Great Divide is just awesome, I won't deny that. Justify is the next best song. Everything else just sucks. You know the main problem with the sound? Scott Stapp. It sounds like he sang 5 versions of the same song and layered them all at once. It sounds unnatural and crappy the way he does back up vocals for his own freakin voice. It's disgusting. The guitar is ok. Nothing ground breaking here. Basically they tried to copy Creed's grungy distortion, but it is not tremontiesque.

Justify and the Great Divide have pretty lyrics, every other song is arrogant and/or corny. I've already filed my complaint about how they did Stapp's voice. His voice is ok for this style of music. The guitar complimented his voice well in Creed, but it just doesn't seem to work as well in this album. I would go into the hypocrisy, but it's really somewhat irrelevant to how good the CD is.

Two ok songs, the rest is bull crap. If you're looking for the next creed cd, you can forget it. It's not here. It sounds more like Creed than Alter Bridge, but Alter Bridge has more things you loved about Creed than this does imo. Great Divide and Justify are the only songs worth having off this. I would not replace it if it were stolen.

TerriD
    definitely a great cd, a feel he was a bit all over the place with what he was trying to convey, but the songs are stellar. My son love to go to sleep listening to Broken and Hard way. the follow up cd Proof of life was much more fluid in though and has great vocals and writing. Great divide was a great CD and a great tour if I didn't have it in my collection Id be lost
    Criskentucky4
    Sound: I absolutely loved the sound of this record. It has alot of twinges of the Creed guitar riffs and even drum beats, but the bass is more freestanding than Creed's music. Stapp's vocals are amazing and he has kind of a harder edge in his vocals than before. Lyrics: Very, very emotional and intuitive. With Creed it almost seemed like he was restricted with his lyrics but with the events with his drug/alcohol abuse and realizations of God over the last couple of years he became more forthwright. Amazing spirtual lyrics, better than Creed's. Impression: This album is definitley a great buy. I bought it the day it came out and I just recently bought it again because I lost the other. I would give this record a 9 out of 10. Any Creed lovers I think will love this record more than any Creeds albums before.
    Mainer