The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year review by Scott Weiland

• Released: Oct 4, 2011
Scott Weiland: The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Rocketing to the forefront of the music world in 1992, Scott Weiland has become one of music's most highly respected and prolific artists. As the front man for Stone Temple Pilots, Weiland has remained a dominant force in rock music since the group's inception. Now, with his sophomore solo release, Weiland proves that his music and song-writing is as potent and powerful as ever. "Happy In Galoshes", produced by Scott Weiland and Doug Grean (Velvet Revolver, Sheryl Crow, Crystal Method), with selected tracks recorded by Steve Albini, features a collection of songs that bring a revitalizing sound to Weiland's highly praised and unique musical style. The inception of the "Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" began two years ago when Weiland first performed "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" which is included on this album, on "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno". The singer says Frank Sinatra's legendary 1957 recording of the song, which featured an orchestra conducted by Gordon Jenkins, inspired his take on this sentimental favorite. Similarly, the album is filled with lush orchestrations punctuated by horns and sweetened with strings, which were arranged by Michael Birnbryer and Jessica Catron respectively. Weiland leads the musicians through timeless holiday standards made famous by the likes of Nat King Cole ("The Christmas Song"), Bing Crosby ("White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home For Christmas"), Perry Como ("Winter Wonderland") and Andy Williams ("The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year"). The album was produced by Weiland's longtime collaborator Doug Grean. There are surprises as well, including a reggae version of "O Holy Night" complete with steel drums, a spritely "Silent Night" propelled by a bossa nova beat and a jazzy "What Child Is This?" where Weiland channels his inner Van Morrison.

Two-time Grammy winner Scott Weiland finds inspiration from the iconic songs and singers of Christmases past, putting his signature baritone on some of his favorite holiday classics for "The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year". The album also includes the singer's own original holiday song, "Happy Christmas And Many More".

"The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year" is very much a passion project for Weiland. In his note accompanying the album, he writes: "I hope this music, a labor of love from all of us, finds you and touches your heart and soul. For that was the purpose of it. Not just these fabulous musicians but moreover, it was the absolute intent of the original writers, players, and legendary icons from days long gone. I have to pause and wonder... Whether it be Frank, Bing or Nat King Cole himself, are these times really so different? A lot of these tunes were written during times of strife within our country and, in fact, around the world. Whether it be the depression or wartime, when these Christmas messages were sent out to men & women of our armed services in a fox hole or hospital, just as today those brave souls who dare to give it all".

Cazman
    "Recently reviewed by: unregistered" aka Scott Weiland
    Hail
    an 8 for a christmas album from scott weiland ...what?
    stonedhippos
    Andrew C. S. wrote: totalewaanzin wrote: The disappointment of the year.. Okay, it can't suck as much as "Lulu" but to find Scott Weiland in the same shelves as Michael Bubl..?? Come on, there are things a REAL artist just shouldn't do! U dissin on Buble?
    bubble is my favorite powerpuff girl
    rockguitar314
    i saw STP over the summer and was lucky enough to go backstage. I met Dean and Rob, both off whom badass rockers. Scott was the guy who never showed. after the show i remember he disappeared w/ 2 blonde sluts and a big bag of crack. this message, while heartfelt, somehow seems written by a producer or engineer and approved by Scott, not written
    Andrew C. S.
    U dissin on Buble?
    ubergeek92
    HellsYeah wrote: Read the album description, saw that Scott was labeled as the vocalist to Velvet Revolver, immediately scrolled down to the comments and was stunned that no one had went out of their way to narccistically point out that Scott isn't VR's vocalist. Amazing.
    Weiland was the vocalist of Velvet Revolver.
    Sundb3rg
    Come on UG we forgave Chris Cornell for Scream can't we find it in our hearts to forgive Scott for this?
    mallen i am
    Cazman wrote: "Recently reviewed by: unregistered" aka Scott Weiland
    And he only gave himself an 8? Awkward.
    swave75
    Iggy Pop needs to make a Christmas album!!! I would totally buy that!!!
    Co Cor
    Hail wrote: an 8 for a christmas album from scott weiland ...what?
    An 8 ball is more like it.
    Eifler121
    swave75
    Billi Idol made a Christmas album too. As did Ren and Stimpy so why not Scott Weiland. In his vidoe his face looks weird. Like some bad surgery.
    Oh_Nutz
    guitarist41 wrote: Scott, sorry to dissapoint you, but that stuff outside is snow, not cocaine.
    "i've been snorting what?!?!"
    chronic_stp
    I would like to point out that STP is my favorite band. Having said that, Scott wtf were you thinking?
    Lagunaguitar
    I read Not Dead and Not For Sale the memoir he wrote and he claims to be clean now. I'm not sure if that's true...
    Salvo416
    LMAO!
    Winner Z
    haha my local rock radio station played this album for 72 straight hours through the day before until after christmas and it was hilarious. They called it a very Weiland Christmas and there was a lot of cocain jokes, which was the main reason I listened for about 30 seconds.
    hereticfive
    deathofagod wrote: It's not rock music... fool.
    Yeah, people are basing their pointless reviews off that.
    MasterExploder0
    What exactly are "assy nipples"?
    Shread_6009
    It's wrong to judge a Christmas album. it just means he's broke or wants out of a contract. its more sad than hateable
    Gee Halen
    Okay. Can anyone NOT thinking of drugs whenever SW sings about snow on this record?
    Lugas
    I took the liberty to listen to the album (fast forward..or something). Terrible singing at times, but not awful. This album was way better than expected (although the music itself hardly differs from Sinatras christmas album). He loves christmas and I cant refuse to respect that.
    WhereArtEsteban
    Cazman wrote: "Recently reviewed by: unregistered" aka Scott Weiland
    YES! hahah i was about to say the same
    PogBoy
    deathofagod
    Alice2Mudgarden wrote: Also, this album is a joke to the rock music world.
    It's not rock music... fool.
    PogBoy
    MasterExploder0 wrote: PogBoy wrote: Scott Weiland makes me want to run cranberry sauce all over my assy nipples and weave sandbaskets and go frolicing about in the winter snow. What exactly are "assy nipples"?
    Would you prefer if I rubbed honey oil all over my ass neck?
    HellsYeah
    totalewaanzin
    breakinslash
    Co Cor wrote: Hail wrote: an 8 for a christmas album from scott weiland ...what? An 8 ball is more like it.
    8 balls is more like it
    No2wad
    Haha this review is so biased, and yet no one in the comments respects it. Terrible work, reviewer. As for the album... Can't comment... Didn't listen... Why bother?
    filipe26
    Eifler121 wrote: He's been trying to do this for a while. I don't understand where all the hate comes from from people who obviously haven't listened to it yet.
    The internet is full of idiots who get bullied somewhere else, have no musical talent whatsoever, nor respect for one another. Not to say rational basis to criticize what they listen to.
    fallen.im
    The way he looks now, he's like someone's b*tch. Drugs are surely has its own ways huh.?
    metalkills
    WOW. what the hell. I brought this up in spotify. First track was nothing terrible... 2nd track "I'll be home for Christmas" sounds like Scott was in the process of nodding off from a shot of smack. What the hell is Scott?