At Daggers Drawn Review

7.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
At Daggers Drawn Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on july 19, 2013

Sound: Sea Of Treachery is an American metal band from Hebron Kentucky. Formerly named At Daggers Drawn, the band signed to Challenger Records at quickly released a full length containing 10 tracks. The band went through a number of lineup changes thereafter. The band, now called Sea Of Treachery, signed to Sumerian Records and re-released the first album ("The First Eulogy") titled "At Daggers Drawn" with two new tracks feature the talent of new guitarist, bassist and drummer. Sea Of Treachery has toured with the likes of Winds Of Plague, After The Burial, Veil Of Maya, and Born Of Osiris. Filled with memorable guitar riffs, breakdowns, and vocals so raw your throat will burn, "At Daggers Drawn" will meet your need for heavy guitars while satisfying your hunger for a certain grooviness in the rhythm section. Clocking in at just over a half hour, this album will keep your eardrums entertained, never once will you be bored with a song. While each song is strong enough to stand by itself, the album is far better when listened from cover to cover. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically the singer Alex Huffman is very good; his lyrics are written with intent and often look inward reflecting the human behind the mic. The two new tracks featuring the three new band members are fantastically written; "Unleash the Serpents" is written about possible shipwreck and sailing on troubled waters while "Endless Cycle of Torture" (rather Unleash the Serpents pt 2) I written about the captain who chose to sail his vessel on said waters and the deaths of the crew will be blood on his hands. The track also features group vocals (a little A Day To Remember-ish) chanting "This is our destiny, we can't turn these ships around" which is both literal and metaphoric. On songs such as "I Never was a White Picket Fence Sort of Guy," Huffman curses society for twisting and exalting that which is cheap and tainted. The line, "Bow to your gods-party sluts and heiress whores, your rules do not apply, for I am not just like you. Party sluts and heiress, Whores define your culture in which I want no part. This is my life. These are my dreams. I will never let you define me" says it all. The style of vocals range from deep and guttural, to high and dry. The production of the vocal mix is done with much care and precision. The dry, abrasive style only adds to the attitude and aggression behind some of the lyrics. One interesting use of this scream occurs on the track "The Eyes of the Ranger" where Huffman starts off a guitar solo by scream laughing (3:02 into the song) and it's probably my favorite part on the entire album. The vocal layering of low growls and soaring highs are rather similar to those done by The Black Dahlia Murder on "Unhallowed." Many of the guitar riffs along with the vocals also sound to be heavily influenced by As I Lay Dying in rhythm and structure. // 10

Overall Impression: It's apparent from the opening track that The Black Dahlia Murder has a large influence on the way the album was written (distorted voice and snare drum beat much like the opening track from "Unhallowed"). The album compares well among metal and hardcore albums of its time such as Born Of Osiris "The New Reign" and At The Throne Of Judgment "The Arcanum Order." "Purging of the Wicked," "Unleash the Serpents," and "The Eyes of the Ranger" are the strongest songs on the album. All three display the chops of lead guitarist Cory Knight and the vocal strength of Alex Huffman. The best part of this album is the composition and production. It was written while the members were relatively young; however, you would never know the members took off on nationwide tour just days after finishing high school. The producer Joey Sturgis (At The Throne Of Judgment, The Devil Wears Prada) captures all the elements perfectly. Another characteristic of "At Daggers Drawn" is the groove created by both the guitar and drums in conjunction. At many points in the album I find myself tapping my feet and nodding my head with the song. If it were lost or stolen I would have to buy another copy immediately as it's been a staple in my music rotation for the last 5 years. Since the re-release of "At Daggers Drawn," the lineup and composers has changed. Although the band is still actively touring, the only active original member is Alex Huffman.

// 9