Angel Down review by Sebastian Bach

• Released: Nov 20, 2007
Sebastian Bach: Angel Down

While many artists from the hair metal era have rapidly faded away, Sebastian Bach has managed the seemingly impossible by releasing what could be the answer to many a rock lover's prayers. His new album Angel Down combines infectious hooks with his solid vocal backing, which has only grown in strength over the years. Of course, that may not come as a huge surprise to many, particularly considering he performed on Broadway multiple times in the past decade. Vocal chops aside, many of the 14 tracks on Angel Down have the capability of being considered rock classics, even if Axl Rose didn't sign on to help out. Produced by Roy Z (Halford, Bruce Dickinson), Angel Down returns to the style of rock that many of have craved: something straightforward with not too many frills, and full of powerhouse melodies. While there are some nice riffs involved, they never steal the thunder from Bach. His ability to jump from angelic (By Your Side) to throaty growls (Angel Down) is the driving force behind it all. There is definitely some influence from Rob Halford involved, with American Metalhead sounding like something the Metal God might have undertaken, but Bach is still a chameleon when it comes to vocals and not many frontmen can do that successfully. There's been a lot of talk about Axl Rose's contribution to the album, and the 3 songs (Back In The Saddle, Love Is A Bitchslap, and Stuck Inside) he lent his vocals to do have a distinct identity. After all of the jokes about Chinese Democracy never being completed, it's sometimes easy to forget about the Rose of GN'R's heyday. Angel Down resurrects that magic, however, and the Bach-Rose collaboration is all in all successful. You might have already heard their duet on Back In The Saddle, which although true to the original, definitely delivers a lot more attitude this time around. It's an amazing version of the song, and there really isn't a better track the 2 singers could have chosen to reintroduce themselves to the world. Love Is A Bitchslap contains a low, grooving riff that almost feels like a GN'R song at times, and Bach was wise to choose it as one of the first singles. Power ballads are a dying breed, but Bach offers up 2 classic-sounding love tracks on Angel Down. By Your Side doesn't sound like I Remember You, but it has the potential of being as bit of a hit as the Skid Row classic. It seems like it's been a very, very long time since any band has been gutsy enough to take on a power ballad, and some of you might like them to remain a thing of the past. But if you're just looking at By Your Side in terms of songwriting, it's a fantastic track that deserves the airplay.

Bach co-wrote the majority of tracks on the album, and the songs are all pretty standard in terms of the themes. Negative Light does feel a bit more personal, however, and it could easily be aimed at his old buddies in Skid Row. The 2 love songs definitely keep to the power ballad-style formula, but it's a good contrast to the lyrics you hear in the rock tracks.

Some of you may be of the opinion that Bach should throw in the towel and call it a day, but the vocalist still sounds better than the majority of young artists out today. He definitely comes from the Halford style of vocals and it's nice to hear a range like that again. While Axl's contribution adds a nice touch to 3 tracks in Angel Down, Bach is still very much in the spotlight. It's not a completely flawless album, but it still has multiple tracks on it that you'll immediately want to hear again after the first listen.

666Sabbath666
    soulflyV
    666Sabbath666 wrote: Sweet, saw him open for "Guns N' Roses" and his voice and stage presence blew "GNR" out of the water. definitely will check this out.
    YES. He is awesome. Anyway this album is great. Better than most of the crap I hear played on the radio that people call "rock". This stuff has balls.
    spaceace12342
    Dude this album is amazing. WAY better than the sh*t people are putting out now. This is heavier than skid Row. (who i also love)
    UrMomsMom
    Damnocracy was good and funny as hell... Shame bout him appearing on gilmore girls
    arowana1027
    meonme
    meh this album is plagued by mediocrity... he has a good voice... just... doesnt really show it... Dull pretty much everything, albeit music, lyrics, or vocals. Only 3 songs grabbed my attention and they are You Don't Understand, You Bring Me Down, and Negative Light. Dont pick this up unless you just cant let go of the past for nothing revolutionary is on this album.
    ColonyVice
    I am gonna get this. i heard by your side, and I loved it. I hope to see a Skid Row reunion one day
    miltiainc
    what is really cool about htis album cover is the fact that his dad painted it then shebastian got the cover as a tatoo on an episode of l.a.ink
    Bubonic Chronic
    arowana1027 wrote: Definately gotta check this out. Any thing from artists from my hey-days is worth a listen.
    Hey, I was a pup then, too, but my "hey-days" are yet to come! Bach is, what, 40? I get tired of hearing that 19 is the "best years of your life", if that's true kill me now!!!
    Hendrixreborn
    2nd, yeh dude cant say ive heard much from him, didnt really take to skid row, but i have heard his voice and he has some great vocals, shame about the whole reality show though. ~Xx peace xX~
    gaffa1
    sowhat360
    damn can't buy it online...now i'm gonna have to drag my ass to record store
    soulphonate
    Is he still with the Gilmore Girls band? I hope they didn't break up, they were so good.
    mrjimborinsane
    hehe,
    related is the clip of him singing a gwen stefani song on gilmore girls. those guy serioulsy rock!!!! (jokes)
    GenmathePanda
    "GnR" Lol. Saw Bach on the Trailer Park Boys... that was some funny shit. Apparently Axl is going on next... its filmed not too far from the one he grew up in!
    priestfan76
    gaffa1 wrote: Hell yes the one and only Sebastian Bach! waited ages 4 dis album! should rok th fukin roof! get in! Nd to dat dude who dissed hm being in th Gilmore Girls, watch the show its as funny as **** man! espec wen he's init!
    I'm sorry sir, was that english?
    Filip413
    Doesnt Steve DiGiorgio play bass on this one, if so im def. going to get it
    NorCalLos
    NorCalLos wrote: The song "By Your Side" live/acoustic as performed on a radio show. The chorus chord progression/vocal melody sound very similar to the verse of 18 and Life.
    re=related
    Tubyboulin
    I cant wait to get this. he is one of my favourite singers and ive heard "By Your Side" its great!
    arowana1027
    Bubonic Chronic wrote: I get tired of hearing that 19 is the "best years of your life", if that's true kill me now!!!
    Yeah, that's how I feel too. If it's too loud,..then your too old. I can't wait to listen to this one with my grandkids
    Macabre_Turtle
    I liked him until I saw him on the reality show where they turned him into a rapper....guh....
    TC1223
    im pretty sure i heard one of the new songs on the radio and it kicked ass
    hemp39
    metal is all god with sebastian he definitly does not need axl blow rose with him to make him sound better not keep on rocking bach man.....
    DustyBannister
    I knew not to expect another "Slave To The Grind", but I still wanted a bit more from it. I love Bach's vocals and he demonstrates them very well, not as good Slave... but still. My main problem was the actual music, it felt a little under developed. The slow songs weren't filled in very well so it mainly the driving force is the faster songs on this album. It's good, if I was in a very anal mood I would give it a 7.5. So I am gonna say an 8. The cool thing Bach is from my area, nice to see music like this instead of 3 Days Grace and My Darkest Days being the only thing comming out of my area.
    NorCalLos
    sowhat360 wrote: damn can't buy it online...now i'm gonna have to drag my ass to record store
    There are few songs on his myspace page. I wasn't impressed.