Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces review by Seether

• Released: Oct 23, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Seether: Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

First off I followed this album for a long time in the up coming months of its release. Learning that lead singer and guitarist Shaun Morgan's brother had commited suicide and that the album was going to be delayed because of the tragedy I became more anxious for its release. I first heard the album in full when it leaked online and at first I thought it started brilliantly with "Like Suicide" because it struck my melody nerve pretty strong and it was stuck in my head. The rest of the record after was almost on par with its first track. Seether chooses a very produced approach towards this albums sound. In my honest opinion it is over produced. It is filled with tons of overdubbing. It also is flooded with exhausted cheesy effects including the torturous "cell phone" vocals effect. Overall this albums sound and impression is only decent compared to it's predecessor "Karma & Effect" which feels like Seether's best album in every area. This album is filled with some sub par songs and a pretty good one once in a while.

These lyrics are in the end awful. They do make sense when tied to their background but creativly they are corny and cliche. Shaun Morgan's traditional grungy rough vox are back in this one sounding a little less young but pretty dirty. At times he may sound like your average post-grungy-Nickelback-guy and for some reason his screams can be a little annoying in this one, but this is simply my opinion and I don't expect many to agree. But nonetheless the screams are back and are present. Overall the lyrics and singing here are, well, not exactly good.

This is far from Seethers best work. The songs are cheesier than ever and in my opinion this is their weakest album to date. Not bad but still weak. It lack the continuous punch and flow "Karma & Effect" had. This album does not feels seamless and the lyrics are just not very original here. Seether doesn't always have the most moving lyrics but, hell, they can write a song. Don't over pay for this one but do give it a listen.

BigBalls17
    No Jesus Christ is not about religion. It's dedicated to people who think they are above anyone else. To people who think they are flawless and make no mistakes.