Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray review by Seether

• Released: May 17, 2011
Seether: Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray

The South African native band, Seether, is back with their latest effort, "Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray", and possibly better than ever before. Musically, in my opinion, this is the most substance they've ever had, and I don't just mean the inclusion of a bit more lead guitar than we usually hear from these guys. The tunes are just more interesting to me than before, and they took songs places I personally did not expect yet they remained recognizable as Seether's handiwork. It's apparent that they've musically matured into the best they can be. The opening track, comically titled "Fur Cue", starts off heavy and is a great way to start any album like this, and then transitions to a softer verse with mostly bass and percussion. About half of the album follows suit with the heavy parts combined with softer. There are also some full on softer songs like "Here And Now", "Tonight" and "Pass Slowly", and there are songs that are just in between like "Country Song" and "Master Of Disaster".

The lyrics are more or less what you would probably expect from Seether. As the title would suggest, the general theme of the album is seemingly having difficulty letting go of things that may be better left lost. For instance, the song "Roses" is a haunting track about being hurt by a loved one who you can't part with. However, despite the depressing theme, there are a few happier moments. In "Here And Now" Morgan proclaims "I'm not gonna waste this/This opportunity's mine/I'm sick of complaining/About a beautiful life". The singing itself is, like the lyrics, more of what you'd probably expect from Shaun Morgan. He occasionally screams where necessary, sings clean vocals with a bit of grit to it for most of the album, all while flexing a bit of a falsetto here and there.

If you're a fan of alternative rock music, I'd suggest giving this album a chance. As for fans of Seether, I really don't know what more you could ask of the band than what you'll find on this album. I truly feel that this is Seether at their best yet. Key tracks include "Fur Cue", "Roses", "Forsaken", and "Master Of Disaster". I hope this review was helpful. If you have any criticisms, opinions, or advice, please comment. Thanks in advance.