Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray review by Seether

• Released: May 17, 2011
Seether: Holding Onto Strings Better Left To Fray

Not gonna lie, the album didn't feel that great when I first got it. The songs just didn't sound like I should care about them putting aside "Fur Cure", "Country Song", "Down", and "Desire For Need". But, after running through the whole album a few times, I began to take a much better liking for it. The CD starts off with "Fur Cue". A great tune that reminds you who this band is. Next is "No Resolution". The intro is phenomenal as it shows great guitar skills held by Shaun Morgan himself. The rest of the song also shows a good sound as we get to the third track, "Here And Now". A good song to cool off with after listening to a couple of pretty hefty sounding tunes. After which, comes the song of the album, in my opinion, "Country Song". Excellent song to jam out with it's great solos, smooth chorus and in the words of Shaun Morgan "it's swampy verse riff." The CD goes backs down with the ballad "Master Of Disaster". The song is nothing more than simply catchy. Next on the list is "Tonight". This is the song that hardcore Seether fans love to hate. Saying it's too "mainstream" and the band sold out with this song and all that crap. But off of the album "Finding Buety" in "Negative Spaces" they released the song "Rise Above This" with a much similar sound, but I don't remember anyone complaining about that song. Anyway, I really enjoy the sound of it. It shows a more easy side of the band without making it a ballad. "Pass Slowly" comes next a real sad-like sound about the death of Shaun's brother. Good track by the way. Now we come to "Fade Out". A more chilled out sound that makes me wish it would pick up to more a hardcore sound. "Roses" is up next. Nothing I can say about this one, since it doesn't do anything for me. Just another chilled out song that needed to be replaced with one of the b-sides like "Effigy" or something. At this point, we come to "Down". Interesting intro and solid chorus as well as the solo. I actually really like this one. As the song ends, we get to "Desire For Need". Real heavy and distorted song that really shows Shaun's screams stand out. Even though he only screams in that song and a little in "Fur Cue". The last song "Forsaken" approaches. Real sad song with a cool piano going on. There, every songs sound listed out. Overall, the sound was good. I would just like to have one or more sped up songs (like having Effigy replaced for Roses). I would give this rating a 7.

The lyrics of the CD are superb to say the least. Great rhymes in place like in "No Resolution", "Country Song", and "Fade Out". And of course, you can't listen to a Seether album without hearing the words "break" or any other things Shaun sings that are familiar in previous songs. Overall, I would say that this is probably the best written album out of all of them. I'll be giving this a 9.

The biggest thing people will complain about is how Shaun doesn't scream as much. But come on now, It's still a great album with real good songs from beginning to end. If it was stolen or lost, I would re-buy within a a few weeks. My overall impression is an 8.