Karma and Effect review by Seether

• Released: Aug 22, 2005
Seether: Karma and Effect

Nu metal seems to be all about tone. These types of bands try to make their sound as crisp, sharp and heavy as possible. I must say that the boys in this band have one of the best toned guitar sounds of all nu metal bands. They won't ever beat Machine Head's tone but it is still pretty damn good. Seether comes across to me as a band that would be more successful as a non-mainstream band if they had not put themselves on the radio. They do some cool stuff with their music and they could be kind of like Mnemic in that non-mainstream nu metal way, even for a drop-low-string band.

We all know that Shawn Morgan has been dating Amy Lee from Evanescence for a long time. Since Shawn went into drug rehab he has been writing about her a lot in his words. I'd say about half of these songs revolve around this topic and it starts to get a little boring after a while. But with song lyrics like those of Remedy and Burrito, a break is brought forth for those who grow weary of Shawn's lovesongs.

I put this CD in my boombox once and didn't take it our for a few days. It kept my interest for a while, though I started to get back into my extreme metal music more. Nu metal isn't really a favorite genre of mine but I still understand what goes into it: drop-low-string tuning, vocals about hating people, some swearing and tone-crunching. For a nu metal album, this one isn't bad. It would definately not be at the top of my list but would probably make the top ten.

hawkdude9
    This is the album to me that truly mixed grunge/alternative and metal. its freaking amazing!
    fendercobain87
    this album was very good they stepped up a notch and took all the bull shit that the media said about them and they made a ****ing masterpeace of an album .