One Cold Night review by Seether

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Seether: One Cold Night

I thought I loved Seether before, but wow! This album sheds a whole new light on them. Their last 2 albums were fairly heavy in places, but this album shows their ability to slow things down and show a lighter, stripped down, acoustic side to their older songs, even throwing in a cover and a newer unreleased song. The song list, and what I thought of each, is as follows: 01. Gasoline - nicely done, but they haven't changed a lot with this one. It's just an acoustic version of the heavier song. Can't complain though, wouldn't be right as a softer song. 02. Driven Under - this one is extremely well done. It's slower, and just sounds great. Shaun does a great job vocally, and the instrumental work is awesome. 03. Diseased - very nice. From the intro its a great song. Seems a tad slower, but nothing too noticeable. Very well done. 04. Truth - has a nice little intro, sounds awesome. Knew after 5 seconds of this song I was in for a treat. Loved every second of it. Awesomely played. 05. Immortality - cover (Pearl Jam). I feel they've done this song justice, and then some. I love this cover. I cannot fault it in anyway, shape or form. A great cover. 06. Tied My Hands - new release. This is the first time I've ever heard Tied My Hands, and I loved it. Sticks to Seether's traditional "simple, yet effective" way of doing things. The music is technically nothing special, but sounds brilliant. 07. Sympathetic - change of pace a little bit here. Instead of slowing down, like the rest of the songs seemed to do, in this one they sped up the verse, and I cant tell if the chorus is the same or faster as well. A very nice song non-the-less. 08. Fine Again - another one that has a different intro. It's absolutely awesome. It's played at around the same pace, but it is brilliant. The chorus isn't as intense musically as on the Disclaimer albums, but is nice. The solo is really fitting, nothing to fast or intense, just a nice basic little riff. Loved it. 09. Broken - from the start, I just had the feeling that this would be awesome. Very similar to the band version of the song (the one that doesn't feature Amy Lee), and they play it live awesomely. Only fault I can pick is that I didn't really like the solo that much, but I won't take away from the rest of the song. 10. The Gift - a very nice song. Fairly similar to the recorded version, with a few differences in spots. Can't really fault it. 11. Remedy - this was going to be a big test, turning a fairly heavy song to a lighter, acoustic song. I can't see the need for this one to be done acoustically, but I guess they did. It's not badly done, but I just don't like the sound of this song as an acoustic song. Doesn't seem to sound right for my ears. 12. Plastic Man - from the beginning, it was very nicely done. It's a very soft/slow song anyway, but it sounds very nice when in an acoustic setting. A great performance. Overall, the sound is great. It's a fantastic "live" effort, and the crowd was very lucky indeed. The reason for live being in quotation marks is because there is a shade of doubt in my mind that this CD was done completely live. Seems to be too good to be completely live. Then again, I might be wrong. Seether might just be incredible live.

Not really a lot to say about the lyrics, Shaun chooses to change a few words here and there, but hey, they're his songs, he can change what he wants, I guess. As far as how Shaun sang, I thought it was brilliant. He has the same Cobain-esq rasp in his voice, which has given them the Nirvana sound. A great effort to sing consistently that well throughout the album, and is able to hold up in the guitar department as well. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music, as they always do. Can't fault it.

This is a brilliant album, a must have for any grunge/metal/rock fan. If you've enjoyed any of Seether's songs, this is one for you. I enjoyed most of this album. It managed to keep me awake and writing this review (just so you all know, its nearing 2am in Aus). I can't stress how hard it was to pick out the best from an outstanding album, but heres the most impressive songs on the album (in my opinion): Truth, Immortality, Fine Again. I like most things about this album. It's nicely played, and sung. They way they've changed things is very nice, and thought through to sound the best it can. As far as what I don't like, I can't think of anything other than attempting to make a song that's meant to be heavy into an acoustic song. It just didn't do it for me. If it was stolen, I'm almost certain I'd end up with another copy eventually. To finish off, I'd like to say it was a pleasure listening to this album. It was purely brilliant.