One Cold Night review by Seether

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Seether: One Cold Night

Back when MTV's Unplugged set the stage for some of the most memorable stage shows, namely both Nirvana and Alice In Chain's haunting performances, going acoustic could provide a new and novel way of hearing the songs you already loved electric. Not to say that magic is not possible with today's bands, but it's definitely harder to come by.

Seether's CD and bonus DVD, One Cold Night, is the latest addition to the acoustic genre, featuring a February 22, 2006, performance at The Grape Street Club In Philadelphia. For the band's hardcore fans it will likely be an enjoyable addition to their CD collection, with all the expected hits included in the set list. But when you break the concert down, there is not a lot of difference between Seether's original recordings and the new live unplugged versions. The band does a capable job of performing and there's an excellent mix on the audio, but there should be a bit more reason to put out a concert recording than to prove you can sound a lot like the records you've put out before.

The first track on the CD, Gasoline, does have a driving groove that makes for an infectious opener. Vocalist Shaun Morgan displays his characteristic raw emotion and is backed by solid instrumental backup from bassist Dale Stewart, drummer John Humphrey, and former guitarist Pat Callahan. But that being said, it almost sounds a bit too much like the original version heard on Disclaimer. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but the rest of the CD follows this same trend and not much new is heard throughout the record.

One Cold Night could have been an excellent opportunity to go beyond what you're already expecting out of Seether's hits by adding in extra harmonies, perhaps an extended acoustic guitar solo or two. There are moments of beauty, like in the introduction of Fine Again, when an intricate guitar solo takes the song in a new and refreshing direction. But most of the songs don't stray far from the arrangement of the originals and it would have been a great avenue to tweak a song like Remedy by making it a dreamy ballad.

If there is one area that Seether excels in, it is melancholia. There is plenty of underlying angst in the band's songs, and there is definitely an audience for that. While One Cold Night is more focused on the acoustic performance aspects of the music, Shaun Morgan's chilling delivery does give believability to some of the bands heartbreaking songs. In Diseased Morgan sings, I will never belong to you; Push if you still need my pain; Cause I will never tell; And scream if you still hate my name; Cause I'll be where I fell. The words are not necessarily groundbreaking statements, but the lyrics actually bolster the concert when the arrangements don't make a huge impression.

Plenty of people might hear Seether's lyrics and think that band is way too absorbed in somber themes. In a song like The Gift, Morgan expresses his self-doubt in each line. In the chorus Morgan sings, I can't face myself when I wake up; And look inside a mirror; I'm so ashamed of that thing; I suppose I'll let it go. The darker lyrics are either going to jive with you or they won't. In this case, they really worked to the band's advantage in an environment that was described as intimate.

As live albums go, the latest Seether offering does not make a big enough impression. Even in watching the bonus DVD that comes with the One Cold Night CD, it fails to be that memorable. You are able to watch the entire acoustic performance as it is heard on the CD, but the visual images of the concert still doesn't pack the punch that's needed. To the band's credit, fans can watch a bonus interview, a video for The Gift, and some behind-the-scenes extras -- additions that most live CDs don't usually include.

If you're looking for just another setting in which to hear your favorite Seether songs, then this latest CD will likely be worth the buy. If you're hoping that the band is able to resurrect the same type of chilling moments that Kurt Cobain created in his 1994 Unplugged performance, you may be in store for a letdown. Those kinds of acoustic moments may never happen again, but it's always nice when you're given goose bumps at least a few times in a live performance. Seether has the talent to come through, so let's hope their future live CDs will be heavy on the goose bump factor.

Kevdracula
    Dezerado wrote: Tied my hands is one of those Really old songs of theirs ... kinda like "love her" ... you can find the Live acoustic versions of that on Kazaa and shit... i've been waiting for that song for years... the original is Wierd tho ... all ... wushy and stuff wierd drum beat too
    tied my hands is from when they were "Saron Gas" in South Africa. It was from the album Fragile!
    ibanez_diff
    being a south african makes me extremely proud of seether because down here critics and every other poser knows nothing about rock/metal(real music)and no one thought someone like seether would get this far. i saw them live alongside metallica & collective soul and i was NOT disappointed. no doubt am i gonna buy this album, can't wait to get my hands on it and the boys better come home to do another gig for us..SEETHER ROCKS!!
    fender_mustang7
    i bought this album not too sure of how good it would be. i listen first to my favorites, and i thought it was okay. then i got into the other songs, that i hadnt heard too much. this cd doesnt leave my radio in my car anymore! great album!!
    NeonStanley
    This band is one of the only currently active bands that can play well with an acoustic or an electric guitar. Shaun is one of the best songwriters/singers out there today. This acoustic album shows everything about them,they don't just hide behind the distortion...they're a really talented band who shows their talent on the guitar in many ways:they can solo, come up with awesome riffs, and they know how to keep it simple. This album + dvd is just so real, you should buy it.
    Spiritweaver
    ^ I completely agree. I think that can even add to how powerful their performances are, and it really accentuates the lyrics and makes you listen. No need to drown out an amazing singer with useless backround noise.
    Anarion614
    i love how they write awesome songs without being guitar gods, everyone thinks if its easy to play then its crap, screw them. awesome album
    cripplefingers
    I'm a big seether fan. I love this album because its the band upclose. You can see cleary everything thats going, and the interview is quite long on the dvd which is nice. For people who like seether, but don't know them that well. I think this C.D is a good chance for them to warm up to the band and enjoy some very memorable riffs and lyrics, that will be immortalized in rock music forever
    darkenedmalice
    man seethers songs made me think back and now that most of them are gonna be slow and soft i think they're gonna come back definatly gonna get this cd
    FENDERBOY2
    "Trust" the possitive comments said so far. This album should be listened to ALONE for the first few sit downs unless your not embarressed to shed tears in public. Man this album brought out some pent up pain that I thought was dealt with long ago. I was wrong!!! A definate "MUST" buy...
    mikepac_99
    Listen to the CD again before making stupid coments.
    daver869
    I LOVE acoustic performances! This is great. I wonder who else will make an acoustic CD? Good job, Seether!
    Winterheart88
    this is a great review and can't wait til i get this album. but people need to stop comparing everything acoustic to nirvana. yes they did some good acoustic songs, but the same can be said for lacuna coil. most of their songs started as acoustic and they break down their songs into well-crafted melodies as well. people really do need to move on and take an album for what it is, and not spend so much time trying to find something to compare it to. Can bands not have an acoustic session without someone saying "oh look, now they're doing a nirvana as well"?????
    nutinELSEmaters
    seether rocks! they're one of the best bands around. ther's no doubt im buying this cd!! ps:broken from plain old disclaimer is way better (without amylee)
    evening_crow
    Viva-la-mark : why do people keep referring to Nirvana or Kurt Cobain in unplugged sessions? I love Nirvana, don't get me wrong...but there was other great unplugged sessions... anyhoo I'm buying this...I hope it as good as you said
    Because Nirvana was known for the distortion and feedback and what you can call a 'heavy' sound which would be concidered awkward if played in an acoustic version. Also, nobody would have ever thought that they could manage, and the songs themselves to be converted into well-created melodies for an acoustic performance...but they did, they pulled it off and it sounded great. That's why everyone refers to them. Because they broke down angst written heavy songs into soft, well-crafted melodies in an acoustic session.
    Dezerado
    nextBIGthing1
    [quote]Viva-la-mark wrote: why do people keep referring to Nirvana or Kurt Cobain in unplugged sessions? I love Nirvana, don't get me wrong...but there was other great unplugged sessions... anyhoo I'm buying this...I hope it as good as you said
    because they are the best and most well-known. After all, Nirvana's last real performance was played there. And Alice In Chains was a real goosebumb-inspiring performance. You can't down on them really. [/quote] Strangely enough, Not a single Nirvana song found its way onto any of the Best Of MTV Unplugged disks. Anyway, Great album.
    masterometal666
    Vos wrote: I would like to get this. Saw Seether live and they were very good. Also they played Broken acousticly (without Amy Lee) and they did a hell of a job.
    I like the version without Amy even better, not to dis on it, but seether's songs sound best when seether performs them.
    Vos
    Viva-la-mark
    QuakerBaker
    The first time I heard about this album coming out I knew I would love it before it even hit the shelves. The previews they had on the website just weren't enough I love the dvd quality alot more than the cd, and their playing is amazing. The funny thing is, the only reason this cd was acoustic is because Shaun was having a throat problem before hand, and so they did an acoustic set. Brilliant plan I must sya because I love heavy/grunge bands duking it out acoustic. ALice in Chains was a pure, prime example. I actually thought Immortality was one of their old, old songs so I looked for it everywhere to find it was a Pearl Jam cover. Much better done by Seether in my opnion.