One Cold Night review by Seether

• Released: Jul 11, 2006
Seether: One Cold Night

One Cold Night's sound is very melodic. Although the album is an acoustic record, it's one that you can head-bang to anyway, the guitars have such an over driven grunt that's incredibly powerful and melodic. The CD does indeed have a story attached to it as the venue (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the Grape Street Club) is where at-the-time guitarist Pat Callahan auditioned for Seether. We definately feel and hear the Nirvana influence in this album and is incredibly reminiscent of Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album. Despite this, Seether has made this all their own with their astonishing, covers, power-ballads and hits that you just wont forget.

Overall I am impressed with the lyrics greatly, with Seether we don't hear or feel the repetitive "woah-oh's" or "oh baby baby's" that we find too often in rock, but instead find intelligent, witty and sometimes humorous lyrics that reflect on life and convey a message, if any man deserved their own dictionary, please let it be Shaun Morgan. Front man Shaun Morgan has an incredible talent, he manages to hit any note he wants despite him being in the studio or on the stage infront of us, on this album he has the ability to emulate the previous studio recordings of these songs, but does it in such a manner that it gives us the edgy raw sound that is unmistakable on One Cold Night, all this talent for a singer that doesn't have any special training in vocal ability get an A+ in my book.

Does this album compare to other albums? No, sorry it doesn't. Why should it? This is a new step forward for Seether, never having released a live OR acoustic album before, this album stands on it's own as one of the greatest live performances in modern rock and shouldn't be compared to any album prequels or sequels. The most impressive songs on this album are the edgy rock-grunt of Gasoline, the power-ballad that nails every word into your head upon first listen, Driven Under, the melodic and harmonic hit known as Fine Again and the Gasoline counterpart, Remedy. I love how this album is like listening to a whole new array of Seether hits even though they've given their older hits and acoustic twist, infact there isn't anything to hate and, if anything, it's that two of the greatest Seether songs Needles and Burrito were removed from the album. If it was stolen or lost would I buy it again? Yes I would, this is a modern rock act that deserves to be supported and keep the grunge scene going.

fendercobain87
    this was a very good live album the atomosphere was very dar and depressing but they can put on great showas and make good records, tied my hands is a very great song.
    Mainer
    I love Seether, I downloaded the DVD part of it, just cause I can never seem to find it in stores. The Gift, Sympathetic, Immortality, and Plastic Man are definite highlights of the performance