All You Need Is Already Within You [Single] Review

Senses Fail: All You Need Is Already Within You [Single]
Released: Mar 3, 2015
Genre: Hardcore, Metalcore
Label: Pure Noise Records
This new sound for modern Senses Fail may alienate diehard fans, but it also will open up some new fans.
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
All You Need Is Already Within You [Single] Reviewed by: vppark2, on april 07, 2015

Sound: Let me start off by addressing, that I am not reviewing the whole split EP featuring Man Overboard because my opinion on that band is a bit biased. I'm just not a fan of many current pop-punk bands. I do respect their talent, but they're just not my cup of tea. And besides, every other song on this EP are just cover songs. Now that that's out of the way, I think I'd much rather address one of the new songs from Senses Fail that's present on this EP. The song is called "All You Need Is Already Within You." The song clocks in at 2:42, which happens to be one of their shortest songs ever. It's not very common in the metalcore/post-hardcore scene, but I think these guys executed it well. Think of this song as a comparison to Stick To Your Guns. STYG writes some short songs, and is a very well received band in this scene. Call them metalcore, melodic hardcore. I have no idea, but their sound has changed drastically over the years, just like Senses Fail has, especially with their last album, "Renacer." This new song is loud, booming with some heavy, yet simple guitar riffs, but it gets the job done, and is not necessarily seen as extremely easily to play like some of the newcomers in this scene aim for. It is more looked at as a catchy, short, and to the point type of song. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is one of the more straight forward songs Buddy has ever written. And that's not a bad thing at all!

"[Chorus:]
You have a heart, don't forget this
It's so easy to become protective
Don't push the world out of the way
Just because you are in pain

You don't have to suffer alone
There is always hope
You don't have to suffer alone
There is always hope

[Chorus x2]

Reach up from that soil
Pull yourself out of your grave
Everything you need is already in reach
How long will you keep on suffering
Before you're sick
How long will you keep on suffering
Before you're sick

All you need is already within you
Pull yourself out of your grave."

I love the way the song is set up. Buddy's vocals have improved so much over the years, and I think one of the main reasons is because he's off the alcohol. He made a speech at the Bayside concert the other night of how he had been drinking every day for 9 years straight just because he had no idea where he stood with his sexuality. It really got to me because I'm still asking myself if I'm bisexual, and well, I have been drinking and smoking a lot lately to be honest. But we can save that pity party for an inbox message. Point is, "Renacer" had opened up a new sound for SF. There is more screaming, heavier guitar riffs, very emotional lyrics, and just a fast paced sound all together. // 6

Overall Impression: This new sound for modern Senses Fail may alienate diehard fans, but it also will open up some new fans. I used to like these band up until "Still Searching," then lost interest a little while after "The Fire" was released, since I thought that album was a huge letdown after how great "Still Searching" was and hell, "Life Is Not a Waiting Room" was even better. But now that those "screamo" days are long gone, SF have basically turned into a pretty damn good metalcore band. Now that they're here, it's safe to compare this band to bands such as Stick To Your Guns and Stray From The Path. I am very excited to see the future of this band once their next album, "Pull the Thorns From Your Heart" comes out. // 7

Comments