Life Is Not A Waiting Room review by Senses Fail

• Released: Oct 7, 2008
Senses Fail: Life Is Not A Waiting Room

As Senses Fail's third full album, Life Is Not A Waiting Room further demonstrates the band's continuing growth and development. Classic Senses Fail combines their typical formula of raw emotion mixed with heavy rhythyms and melodic lead riffs - this album is no exception. Guitarists Garret Zablocki and Heath Saraceno have definitely developed a strong chemistry while Dan Trapp continues to hone his skills on drums with complex beats and double bass. Although the 12 tracks may seem to dip into other genres' ink, the choruses definitely remain written with the same blood, sweat, and tears that Senses Fail has been about since From the Depths of Dreams.

James "Buddy" Nielsen once again draws from real-life experiences and utilizes his interests in religion and literature to write deep, meaningful lyrics for each song. One unique twist to the lyrics of this album is Nielsen's recent break up. Songs such as "Four Years" and "Blackout" reflect on the break up (and even relationships in general), pondering the regrets and mistakes made over the years. Another notable influence can be seen in the first single from this album "Family Tradition" in which Nielsen expresses his emotions regarding his estranged father, reminiscent of the band's never-released track "Bastard Son". Nielsen may not be the best singer but his style does fit the lyrical messages he focuses to convey. In addition, his screaming ability has shown great improvement. Although some lyrics may seem generic and cliche, it is Nielsen's singing that drives home the meaning behind each song.

Since I can't give an 8.5, I will give this album a 9 overall just because I have been with Senses Fail since the beginning. Honestly, if you absolutely loved Let It Enfold You, this may be a disappointing album. However, one must understand that bands grow and change over time, and that is exactly what Senses Fail is doing. Senses Fail knows what has gotten them to where they are now and is trying to keep true to themselves while still learning and growing. Some definite must-listen tracks are "Lungs Like Gallows", "Garden State", "Wolves At The Door", "Hair Of The Dog", and "Map The Streets". I do believe Let It Enfold You was Senses Fail at it's finest, but I am also sorry to say that I believe they may never make an album like that again. Take a listen to this album but don't judge too quickly. Soon enough Life Is Not A Waiting Room will grow on you and have you rocking out to a developing, more matured Senses Fail.

blacklabel22333
    xXSamueLXx wrote: you guys all suck ****ing balls... senses fail will and always will kick anybody elses asses. **** you all and i hope you go to hell!!!
    dude shut the **** up. everyone had their own opinions. You are the type of person that i hate. Just because you like a ****ing band doesn't me we all must like the same band. Anyway, i have liked senses fail for a long time and i found this CD to be disappointing. I don't know if my taste in music has changed but i just didn't love any of the songs except wolves at the door. I listened a few times to the cd to make sure and i just cant get into it.
    shibby013
    i give that album a 10/10 brilliant pieces of music carefully put together to create a very contemporary popular taste but also not going to far away from their original style....could make a comparison to funerals latest album?
    layzejerze20006
    i loved this album. it doesnt stray too far from senses fail's overall sound, but you can definitely hear the band maturing in a good way in my opinion.
    ryanglaspell
    This slbum to me seems lighter than still searching but much deeper than let in enfold you. I enjoy it so far chandelier has a cool intro. Senses fail is one of the best emo/screamo/punk pands out there
    loveismurderx
    I think its an awesome album! The lyrics still kick ass... Though i think that they should cut out the screaming... If the have to do screams, do it like they did on let it enfold you.. I had to hear it a couple of times before i really got into it, but im surprised how good it actually is.. My faves are Family Tradition, Four Years and Chandelier
    Sphinx07
    I was pretty impressed with this album, especially following "Still Searching". Chandelier is my favorite track behind Garden State. Its darker than any other track I've heard. Wish they would perform that live.
    JChrist521
    I personally think Senses Fail took everything they were good at and some of the things they were bad at and improved them noticeably. There is more intricate guitar work in this album as well as (imo) better and more powerful screams from Nielson. He said that he worked on his screaming between this and Still Searching and it shows. Great work from Senses Fail and I can't wait to see where they go next.