Still Searching review by Senses Fail

• Released: Oct 10, 2006
Senses Fail: Still Searching

Since their first album Senses Fail have gone through various changes with their sound. The sound of this album is greatly different to their first album "From The Depths Of Dreams" with an insight of the bands maturity into deeper understanding of musical technques, musical patterns, impressive vocals and harmonies, harsh raw screams and intersting "electronic" effects. "Still Searching" brings up the topics of; Alchol and drug abuse, Lack of faith and loss of religion, Depression and Ultimately suicide. A rather deep and dreary sounding album, but none the less their best one by far.

The album starts off with with a short song called "The Rapture", straight away bringing up the topics of lack of faith and death with lyrics like: "But I am blind, my faith is gone I'm finding out the good book was wrong." and "We're destined to all die alone I buried my cross with a rose." The most impressive thing about the lyrics of this album though is they do seem to tell a story, or atleast through out the 3 songs "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues", "Negative Space" and "The Preist And The Matador". Throughout this album the story of an individual having a hard time finding and keeping faith in his religion is told, struggling with alcohol and drug usage and eventually taking his own life is told. "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues" is the song in which the individual does ultimately end his life by jumping off a building. "The Preist And The Matador" is the aftermath of his decision and suicide. Depressing, Dark, Morbid and Insightful lyrics will have you listening straight through the album more then once.

A rather "emo" album but by far more supperior to their past albums, Senses Fail deliever a strong punch with this album that will have you thinking and wanting more. The most impressive songs on this album would be the fast and agressive title track "Still Searching" with emotional filled screams and a fast paced beat. "Lost And Found" one of the slower songs on this album filled with deep and rather catchy lyrics and a rather dark feeling to it. The best song this album however would have to be "All The Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues", experimental electronic effects, catchy choruses, heavy guitar and the depressing story that the lyrics tell, will have you begging for more after you're through with the song. Unfortunately this album could have been a lot better with maybe some more slower songs, and the absence of an acoustic song also makes this album a bit less impressive. Well written, well played and well thought out. Still Searching Will have you begging and screaming for more.

ienjoymusic
    Super good album, but I don't think that a lot of people realize it's a concept album about an unnamed character and his struggles with faith, drugs, and depression. To all the crowded rooms isn't a happy song, it's a completely sarcastic song that is another step closer to the character's suicide in All the Best Cowboys.. Priest and the Matador is probably the strongest track of the album, because of it's memorable chorus and beautiful intro. Great way to close the album.