The Fire review by Senses Fail

• Released: Oct 26, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Senses Fail: The Fire

Senses Fail's sound is akin an art student who, upon discovering' watercolours, shouts Eureka' and proceeds to proclaim all sorts of nonsense: none of which is taken seriously. Only I'm not sure if this tired effort shall be panned by other reviewers. Why are bands, mindlessly lumped into the emo or post-hardcore genre, given licence to self-reproduce? The Fire sounds like the homogenous reproductive process of some mundane bacteria. It's irrelevant as to how raw' or how emotional' frontman Buddy Nielsen sounds when he screams, or how biting' the riffs and bass lines are: this is a boring band. It makes buying emo records a drawn out, futile process of selection. It could be how the clichd songSaint Anthonyhas screams in all the obvious places, or how Safe House has the same melody as every other emo song out there, but whatever it is, there is no place for this type of effort in music. It is abhorrent that a band should be allowed to put out press releases describing a forthcoming album as intense' and bold', when so much of what Senses Fail record is geared to sell records to an existing fan base. It shouldn't make it past that. That said, we shouldn't discard some of the good production techniques on show.

I've gotta start livin', cause my life's passin' by, go the crooned vocals of Landslide. It's boring, it's redundant, and it certainly isn't intense. Ever since Taking Back Sunday used, If you slit my throat, with my one, last, dying breath, I'd apologise for bleeding on your shirt! I've felt that an emo band should either be more daring, or at least equally as clichd as this. That said, at least there's a positive element to the lyrics described above. I just don't see them gaining any awards for poetry.

The Fire isn't the metaphorical masterpiece it was meant to be, but an album of transition. If it had been painted accordingly, I wouldn't complain nearly as much. The fact that it has been portrayed as the culmination of Senses Fail's preceding albums riles me, and it should rile you too. Nielsen might call it an album of hope and optimism but, in truth, it sounds more like a band finding their feet after facing the problems they have faced in recent years, such as the departure of several band members. Let's hope that Senses Fail's next album is portrayed as the culmination of the band's preceding albums, because it is so.

Gary.Blizzard
    So, in a SENSE, you're saying the album was a FAIL? (lol haha...) I'd like to see another review on it :/ I never gave them much attention.
    Neiliorox
    There were no screams in that song.. I liked this album very much. I feel like I can relate to the song "Lifeboats" more than I can relate to any other SF song. However, the guitar work did not impress me. It might have to do with Heath leaving, but Garrett really let me down on this one.
    EpiExplorer
    tancanada wrote: This review is retarded. This is by far the best album Senses Fail has ever put out.
    Crymsonblaze wrote: Idiot. Record's great.
    SensesFail_dude wrote: ive been a senses fail fan since from the depths pf dreams ep. and after i read this review i had to get this album so i just downloaded it, and i have to tell you, whoever wrote this reveiw is obviously not a die hard senses fail fan like me. I still dont thik that senses fail has written a bad song... EVER i love every one of their songs, their an amazing band and buddy always has a way with words. suck it
    Oh the pain of butthurt..
    seabassmonster
    EpiExplorer wrote: Nmbr1guitarjew wrote: Great Review I could have said it all better myself. I unfortunately gave it a listen at hot topic. I couldn't make it passed saint anthony (second track). It all sounds like reprocessed crap all sounds the same. What were YOU doing at Hot Topic?
    agreed. any self-respecting musician should stay away from that evil realm.
    barden1069
    GreenSaosiner wrote: NemX162 wrote: I'm sure I'll be contested here, but emo really isn't a genre of music. It's a fashion style. The band people call emo do not have consistent things in common musically... I'm probably going to get shit all over for defending Emo music. But "Emo" is a genre. It's just turned into a term used to describe any band that talks about being depressed about a girl. Real Emo music had some great bands in it's heyday, like Jawbreaker or Sunny Day Real Estate , or heavier bands like Circle Takes the Square, or Hot Cross. That being said The Fire is a straight up turd.
    Hell yeah! Original emo was actually good.
    duncang
    disembodied wrote: fans arent supposed to write reviews.
    That's not true at all! Fans can, and usually do write reviews - if you predisposed against a band or don't know about them then you're going to have more of a skew than someone who 'gets it'. The word you're looking for is idiots - idiots aren't supposed to write reviews.
    r0ckth3d34n
    I couldn't stand Still Searching after awhile. I didn't like Life Isn't a Waiting room for a minute. I'll check this out, but I feel safe saying that Let it Enfold you and The Depths of Dreams were the best records that Senses Fail ever released.
    MatimusX
    Let It Enfold You: Raw goodness. Still Searching: Slightly matured, well produced album. Life Is Not A Waiting Room: Darkly beautiful, well crafted music. The Fire: should be thrown into one...
    The Spoon
    Sounds just like their last album tbh, which I wasn't a huge fan of. Still Searching is my favorite, but it's too depressing of an album for me to listen to on a daily basis. Lose lose for me
    mpedara429
    I think the album is pretty good. I like all of Senses Fail's albums for a different reason. They are a good crossover band because they have metal, emo, and plain old hard rock elements.
    Lt hilsdorf
    Neiliorox wrote: However, the guitar work did not impress me. It might have to do with Heath leaving, but Garrett really let me down on this one.
    I agree. That's the only major downer for me. I thought "Life Is Not A Waiting Room" was a great album, with good lyrics, guitar, and an interesting story. This album has a "more of the same" feeling. Similar themes, similar guitar work and tone, but with less guitar solos and interesting riffs. Certainly not their best work, but still a decent album. This review is a bit harsh, but I think a 6 or 7 rating is about as high as it should go a(7 is probably pushing it). I can certainly recommend it to someone who liked their last album though.
    disembodied
    fans arent supposed to write reviews. cause then the score is based on their opinion of the band not on the album. its called a fanboy review. where ppl only give it a good rating because they "like the band" and most of the time they dnt even listen to the album they are reviewing.
    Lion_Slicer
    Gibson1983 wrote:When I was fourteen years old and complained to my mom that I wasn't able to write sensible song lyrics, my mom said "well, at fourteen you can't be expected to write anything sensible because you haven't experienced enough and haven't yet developed a more mature way of reflecting on your experiences".
    It's not impossible... Protest the Hero wrote Kezia when they were like 17, and that's a thought-provoking concept album, told from three perspectives, about sexism, justice, and morality... maybe. Shit's confusing. You're right on for the most part though, PtH is a pretty extreme exception. Emo, post-hardcore... basically the same thing nowadays. One (stoned) engineering professor I had said the best answer to "Why is the sky blue?" is "Everyone agreed to call it that." It's seblantics anyway. Whatever it is, Senses Fail are bad at it. They're a sure way to induce nausea and narcolepsy, at least for me. There's good music in the genre... Saosin is better, Chiodos is much better, and Coheed and Cambria are the best (SSTB counts as post-hardcore at least).
    crazysam23_Atax
    Good, a crappy band gets what it deserves in a review for once. Thank you, UG. @Lion_Slicer Um...how the hell can you even place Coheed next to shitty post-hardcore bands? Although, I do agree, Chiodos is good.
    PlectrumTheory
    To all the people calling this using the word cliched.... Does that mean any band that plays within a certain genre cliched then? I mean thats all thats been pointed out. To be quite honest you point out the common traits of a bands sound and then saying it's cliched is stupid... I mean come on who writes song doesn't use a certain style? Or certain melody or pattern over and over... If you say you haven't that means two things A. You don't write music. B. Your going nowhere with your music. We have genre's for a reason... So what if two songs sound the same or have a similar structure its called their style and it's how they like to play... If other band have the same style that just means they think a like and like to play that music. So please stop harping on bands for playing in a certain genre or being "cliched" or having a popular style...
    turncoat60%
    I liked LINAWR so I don't think this album is as bad as everyone says it is. That being said this album, with an exception of a couple decent songs, sounds like a bunch of b-sides for LINWAR.
    ss311
    bassbeat77 wrote: The one thing that fails more than this album is how many of you are referring to them as an emo band. If you're going to go throwing genres around with so much confidence then at least know what you're talking about.
    Kidding? They fall into that genre in many ways. They're widely referred to as an emo/post-hardcore band. What would you call them?
    jackdude500
    This review is appalling and whoever wrote it should be shot I thought as a whole the album was brilliant and buddy never disappoints with his lyrics, I think it is unfair to criticise this band as they have 100 times more talent than the guy who wrote this piece of shit excuse for a review that has terrible grammar. Next time let somebody with a good point review senses fail as they clearly don't deserve this shithead wasting his time on ripping on every slight crack there is in an album.
    NemX162
    After listening to the album, I'd just like to say that this is the best thing they've put out since Let It Enfold You, which I think was the only other solid album they had. This album is a breath of fresh air after Life is Not a Waiting Room and Still Searching...
    Xilra
    I love "Life Is A Waiting Room". songs were definitely much catchy then, with more intense and harder riffs. this album, meh.
    poterpls
    i think that you arent giving Senses Fail enough credit! The album isnt that bad. The problem I had with this album is that it basically sounded like Life is a Waiting Room Episode 2. Kudos to Buddy for screaming more in this album, but im sad there were no solos =[ this album would have been better if Heath had been in the band!
    Grimwade
    That review was ridiculous, Landslide and Lifeboats were the only thing that disappointed me. I'd expect the UG team to know there is something behind the lyrics of senses fail and not just use the word "Cliche" to describe it. For example Saint Anthony lyrics relates to Buddy Nielsens moments of feeling pressure over the last two years as the band faced legal battles and lineup changes. Not mention Safehouse, how "I fall to pieces and I get weak in the knees When I think about eternity" is the feeling of anxiety. How could people be so blind.
    ienjoymusic
    Still Searching was by far the best Senses Fail album. The songs were well written and well played as well. I haven't heard The Fire yet, but I hope this review is wrong.
    SensesFail_dude
    GreenSaosiner
    I'm probably going to get shit all over for defending Emo music. But "Emo" is a genre. It's just turned into a term used to describe any band that talks about being depressed about a girl. Real Emo music had some great bands in it's heyday, like Jawbreaker or Sunny Day Real Estate, or heavier bands like Circle Takes the Square, or Hot Cross. That being said The Fire is a straight up turd.
    duncang
    They're not THAT rare! Good review
    EpiExplorer
    duncang m : EpiExplorer wrote: Should have been much more harsh. It doesn't deserve to exist as an album, 5 years too late and its already stale. Kudos for actually doing a UG review that isn't positive or congraulatory, though. They're not THAT rare! Good review POSTED: 10/26/2010 - 06:49 am / quote | wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: Should have been much more harsh. It doesn't deserve to exist as an album, 5 years too late and its already stale. Kudos for actually doing a UG review that isn't positive or congraulatory, though. They're not THAT rare! Good review
    Lulz, I know. But yes, nice job.
    seemeel
    Haha, Epi is right, these reviews are rare! This is one of only a few I've seen on UG that said the product wasn't the greatest thing that's ever existed.
    TomCannon
    I'm a senses fail fan, but this album only has about 3-4 good songs on it, and most of the album sounds the same. A lot of people didn't like life is not a waiting room, but at least the songs sounded different lol
    Nmbr1guitarjew
    Gibson1983
    I agree with this review. Emo in itself is already utterly predictable and boring, not even to mention superficial, clich and again just PLAIN BORING. The whining melodies, the predictable screams, the same strummed powerchords and the pathetic lamenting that has to pass for passionate lyrics. When I was fourteen years old and complained to my mom that I wasn't able to write sensible song lyrics, my mom said "well, at fourteen you can't be expected to write anything sensible because you haven't experienced enough and haven't yet developed a more mature way of reflecting on your experiences". These guys (and other emo bands) seem to be fourteen forever. This band would be a funny parody to emo if emo wasn't already so pathetic of its own.
    EpiExplorer
    What were YOU doing at Hot Topic?
    NemX162
    I'm sure I'll be contested here, but emo really isn't a genre of music. It's a fashion style. The band people call emo do not have consistent things in common musically... I hope this album isn't as bad as you've said.
    bassbeat77
    unclenono
    I guess I'd have to agree with most of what you've written, but you do sound a bit biased. I just wish Senses Fail would've continued in the direction they were going with Still Searching. I'll always have respect for the guys tho. Pluck wire.
    askikr91
    Okay, the album isn't that great. True. However, I couldn't get past all the terrible grammar in this review.
    Astronomer9893
    Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't think this album is a complete piece of trash. The review is very biased, it doesn't point out a single positive part of the record, save for "the good production techniques on show". And for all of the emo haters out there, Senses Fail isn't emo, they're post-hardcore
    thricenturion
    soXlittleXtimeX
    thricenturion wrote: if this was their EP or 2nd album this wouldnt be bad id be blown away. The first song i listened to i felt like i was back in my dodge neon blaring senses fail with my underoath shirt on...thx senses fail...for making me revisit 2004.
    Lol, I felt the same way! I used to be huge on these guys in high school, and I'll admit this doesn't even compare to their first two albums. There aren't really any songs that draw any attention off the bat, and there certainly isn't anything that couldn't be heard on previous albums.