The Fire review by Senses Fail

• Released: Oct 26, 2010
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
Senses Fail: The Fire

As a huge fan of Senses Fail since LIEY, I was more than a little excited for this release. However to my dismay, I was disappointed. I found that the CD really didn't flow and was very repetitive, sounding very similar guitar wise to songs off their previous releases. The CD starts off with "The Fire", and it was easily one of the best songs off the album, catchy lyrics and nice guitar. Other honourable mentions are "Safe House", "Headed West", "Lifeboats" and "Hold On", which I found was an excellent song to end on. The other tracks all seem very out place and I couldn't help but feel deja vu because the riffs are basically exactly the same as some songs of Still Searching and Life is Not a Waiting Room. I could barely sit through "New Year's Eve" which is in my opinion one of the worst songs theyve written, mainly because of the lyrics, which I'll talk about soon. Overall, I found less than half the songs on this release actually likeable, but of the ones I liked, I loved. I couldve done without the others though.

Now the lyrics are what really brought down the album. They're cliche, repetitive and hardly creative and meaningful. Buddy's been screaming about his father and lack of belief for 8 years and it's starting to get old. Though the songs I mentioned before, I did like the lyrics, but as far as variety goes, there isnt much. It's basically the same song just with different guitar arrangements. And the band really overused the same word. New Year's Eve was said in maybe 3 different songs. "The storm hangs like an axe over my head", "Like a hurricane I'm always given a new name", "I've gotta stop living like a tornado" I mean what is with this guy and natural disasters?! He's used floods, landslides, tidal waves, volcanos, basically every single natural disaster in all the songs. It felt stale to begin with and in most tracks, all I can think is "gee I feel like I've heard this before..". This isn't the case in all the songs, and some lines are catchy but I just felt like the repetition was way too noticeable and really brought down the record.

Overall, I'm torn. I liked some, hated some. As far as a record goes I think it was ok but compared to Senses Fail other albums, it feels like a step back. The loss of Heath Saraceno was noticeable too. The album seemed less harmonic and the sound that they'd built up with SS and LINAWR seemed lost in the ether. I really hope they improve with the next release but I sure as hell won't be first in line to buy it.

DesolationxRow
    These reviews are jokes. This is a strong album, by far better than Life Is Not A Waiting Room, the songs are all strong in their own ways, Buddy's vocals are as good as ever. All this complaining about cliche's are fairly unfounded, for example, Headed West is about growing up and facing one's fears and anxiety's. The people who think the album is canned haven't looked beyond the superficial aspect of the album and should just not say anything, as they obviously know nothing. Don't listen to the other comments. This is a solid album. Also, those who are still throwing around the "emo" moniker, you're ignorant. "Emo" has been dead for years, Senses Fail is post-hardcore, and those who refer to them as emo are either "metal" elitist wanna-be's or ignorant hipsters who probably secretly delight in being associated with hipsters. This is a good album from a good band. Nine out of ten.
    andeen10
    I just listened to "The Fire" and I'm really impressed. I believe this review is some shit and should be taken down. Two things pissed me off must about this review. The following line "Ive gotta start livin, cause my lifes passin by, " Out of all the lines to choose from, why choose this? Is it because it's the most cliche? For whatever reason, here are lines to analyze for "Clicheness" "I'm headed west to try to test my bravery. Face to face with my thoughts is what I need. The rear view reminds me the futures passing presently " This bullshit, "screams in all the obvious places," is the second thing that pissed me off. Where the **** would they go? Would you want them in all the wrong places? Or have them in not-so-obvious places... This isn't a "Where's Waldo" book. As others have stated before me, why do you guys complain so much about "clich style"? If you don't like music with a specific genre go listen to Between The Buried And Me (who ****in' rocks). These lyrics are so metaphorical and clever. The only thing that I miss from "Life Is Not A Waiting Room" is the guitar solos, but because of their line up change one can only expect so much. 9/10 [: Also people proof read what you write before posting...
    mpedara429
    [quote]andeen10 wrote: I just listened to "The Fire" and I'm really impressed. I believe this review is some shit and should be taken down. Two things pissed me off must about this review. The following line "Ive gotta start livin, cause my lifes passin by," Out of all the lines to choose from, why choose this? Is it because it's the most cliche? For whatever reason, here are lines to analyze for "Clicheness" "I'm headed west to try to test my bravery. Face to face with my thoughts is what I need. The rear view reminds me the futures passing presently" This bullshit, "screams in all the obvious places," is the second thing that pissed me off. Where the **** would they go? Would you want them in all the wrong places? Or have them in not-so-obvious places... This isn't a "Where's Waldo" book. quote] Thank You. I was thinking the same thing, especially about the screaming. It's part of their style. Nobody criticizes Parkway Drive and many, many other great bands for only screaming. Wouldn't that be considered "screams in all the obvious places"?
    mryoyo9
    NOT TRUE!!!!! i love all the songs on it.. very hard and true to rock/hard rock. Great metaphors and symbolism. "I'm a number in a lottery, life's a boardwalk game God rigged to cheat."
    chrismetal86
    This is such a horrible review. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the way the reviewer presented his is ridiculous. The review is completely biased as the reviwer states "Why are bands, mindlessly lumped into the emo or post-hardcore genre, given licence to self-reproduce?" which shows that the reviewers doesn't have a liking towards this genre in the first place. There are no screams in Saint Anthony (not one), which the reviewer said had screams in all the "obvious places". Well sir I'll make sure the next time I write music, I'll come to you so you can tell me if it's a little obvious or not. The lyrics are some of the best Buddy has written. "Alaska winters pray for end of summer days, but the sun won't go away. Just like me I'll bet they really want to change." - Saint Anthony That line really impressed me when I first heard it. Senses Fail has obviously matured on this record. Every band matures, it's inevitable. You can't ask a band to keep writing the same album over and over, it's like asking an artist to keep painting the same picture. Oh, and Garrett wrote both leads and rhythm on this record, for all the 'tards saying the new guitarist sucks on this record.
    iRawrz
    when i read this review and the comments in the beginning, i thought i was the only one who liked Senses Fail.. But searching further down, i found out i wasn't alone! :] and i hate this review. They only pointed out the few things that were wrong with this album. Were they too ignorant to actually look into the song, and find the meaning to some of the lyrics? and also, what is with the obsession with cliche ?? That's probably the most over used word on this page. Well, whatever.. this may not be one of my favorite albums, but i still love it. And i love Senses Fail too :]