Amok review by Sentenced

• Released: Jan 3, 1995
Sentenced: Amok

Sentenced's last album as a death metal band and in my opinion, the best. The guitar sound is amazing, bass is loud enough that you can hear it. Composing of the album must have been hard to Miika Tenkula, lead guitarist of the band, and to whole Sentenced. All the songs are very good, but some shine a little bit more than others. The album is death metal. For all the songs, composing has been made by only Miika Tenkula or with the whole band.

The lyrics take control of your mind. There is hatred, anger, death, misery and other strangling topics behind them. The lyrics have a lot of meaning behind them, that is why I love them. Some might get frightened of those topics, but they are real. The riffs and melodies are meant to catch the lyrics so that they would make all the songs whole. The singer, Taneli Jarva, is a really skilled singer. He sings all the songs from his heart, you can see him live and tell that he really does.

Compared to North from Here (the previous album before Amok), this album has slightly better guitarwork, the lyrics are more impressing and stunning than on North from Here. The most impressive songs on this album are probably The War Ain't Over!; Phenix; Nepenthe and Dance on The Graves (Lil' Siztah). I never get bored of those songs. The love that I have towards this album is huge and it is hard to describe in words. The songs on this album take over my heart while I listen to it, both in lyrics and guitar playing, it simply rocks. What I hate about this album is that Jarva doesn't have any bass solos here. If I lost this album or it was stolen, I'd definitely buy it back. This album is way more worth than what it costs.

Vpr
    Darkkon
    wut
    Sakke
    Didn't say it's melodic death metal..just said that there are melodies.
    Sakke
    Sakke wrote: Vpr wrote: It's fantastic. Really. But I wouldn't call it melodic death metal. It's a perfect mixture between death-metal-Sentenced, and the later, melancholic and melodic one. Bar The War Ain't Over and maybe Phenix musically Amok is not that far from Down though, and if Ville sang here instead of Taneli you'd never think of DM. Didn't say it's melodic death metal..just said that there are melodies.
    To note,UG gave it that genre. I did not.
    jfreyvogel
    Darkkon wrote: Vpr wrote: I wouldn't call it melodic death metal. a perfect mixture between death-metal and the later, melancholic and melodic Sentenced. wut
    I think he meant latter - not later.
    Vpr
    jfreyvogel wrote: I think he meant latter - not later.
    Yes, of course. My English is really poor. Sorry
    Sakke wrote: To note,UG gave it that genre. I did not.
    Sakke
    Vpr wrote: jfreyvogel wrote: I think he meant latter - not later. Yes, of course. My English is really poor. Sorry Sakke wrote: To note,UG gave it that genre. I did not. But you wrote that it was "Sentenced's last album as a death metal band". I wouldn't say it had much to do death metal at that point. Even Jarva's vocals are completely different from those on NFH. I guess we can argue about such pointless things forever, let's just say one thing everybody will agree on - it's a great album, propably the best from Sentenced
    As far as reviewers have called it death metal,I called it too. For me, genre doesn't matter when it's a band called SENTENCED. Actually,it isn't that much "normal" death metal on NFH either if you compare to Arch Enemy for example.. And well,it isn't melodic death metal. UG really gave it that genre,there was no option for choosing the genre totally..
    EpiExplorer
    Sakke
    EpiExplorer wrote: Its the sound of an original Death Metal precursor (like Possessed, lets say) with the Metallica thrash-beat before the Gothenburg factor was defined. Its alright, but I wouldnt call it amazing. The vocals are pretty pathetic though..
    You're pretty much hate towards everything as what I've seen from forums/updates sections..
    EpiExplorer
    Sakke
    EpiExplorer wrote: Oh not all the time, I just guess I've heard the most extreme end of any form of metal music. For example, in melodeath, listening to Scar Symmetry, Wintersun and then Before the Dawn.. then listening to this, just doesn't do it for me. And come on dude, the guy cant sing for balls.
    Then it's just your ear..I don't like BTD or Scar Symmetry at all..Wintersun would be great otherwise,but Im getting bored of listening to just a few tracks..
    AJSaw
    Sakke wrote: Sakke wrote: To note,UG gave it that genre. I did not.
    Oh okay, yeah it wasnt death metal. was gonna crit you for that, but not now good review