A-Lex review by Sepultura

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Dec 31, 2008
  • Sound: 4
  • Lyrics: 4
  • Overall Impression: 4
  • Reviewer's score: 4 Poor
  • Users' score: 6.3 (49 votes)
Sepultura: A-Lex
0

Sound — 4
It's been a lot of talk about this new Sepultura material A-Lex, specially after Igor Cavalera left, so this is first album with new drummer Jean Dolabella.In several interviews present band members declare that this will be something great, a lot of creativity & good ideas.Well, to me A-Lex was disappointment.The fact is that from year to year every other Sepultura album is worse then previous one.There are just a few ''old'' bands (bands from the 80's) who are still creative, unfortunately Sepultura is not among them. On this new album, they do have a few good ideas but this is all so idle (unaccented), or not used in the right way.As far as style goes it's the same as always, classical death/groove/trash metal.Through album they have 4 intros called Alex 1, 2, 3 & 4 (and that's another thing which is really ridiculous), I've expected something melodic are even acoustic but ''Alex songs'' sounds like bad improvisation on some rehearsal (except beginning and end of A-Lex 4).When you listen through whole album everything becomes so similar.Similar riffs, lack of melody and constant screaming. Positive things about A-Lex is super fast ''Moloko Mesto'' which reminds on ''Policia'', a real (short) singing from Derrick Green in "Sadistic Values", and song "Ludwig Van" which is Sepulturas adaption of Ludwig Van Beethoven and sounds very cool.

Lyrics — 4
A-Lex is based on the 1962 book ''A Clockwork Orange''. The title is a pun on the main character, Alex is Latin for "without law''.Andreas Kisser declare that he is under the influence of Anthony Burgess (writer of ''A Clockwork Orange''), so part of lyrics on this album is based upon Burgess life.The rest of lyrics is classical Sepultura lyrics about hate, pain, agony, suffering, anger, forceful behavior and everything else which is standard in metal.

Overall Impression — 4
Overall, A-Lex has lack of melody, similar riffs, but a few averagely good songs (like "Moloko Mesto","What I Do!","Ludwig Van" and parts of "Sadistic Values" ) makes this album bearable.If you are hardcore Sepultura fan and you like death metal you probably will not be disappointed as I (because the fact is also, album such as this is still better than most other death metal bands).Sepultura which I (long ago) liked is ''Beneath the Remains'' and "Roots Bloody Roots" Sepultura, A-lex is very far from that...

56 comments sorted by best / new / date

    duncang
    The JesterHead wrote: Are there, like... ANY original members in Sepultura now? :S Everything Sepultura made with Derrick Greene really sucks and I simply don't get anything in the post-Max era... This is NOT Sepultura. Anyone who claims otherwise has probably never heard anything from Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation to Chaos A.D. ...
    One original member, one who's been in the band for 22 years, one who's been in the band for 12 years and the new drummer. I have heard Morbid Visions, Bestial Devastation and Chaos AD. I think A-Lex is better.
    not_dead_enough
    F**K ALL THE HATERS!!! It's good to finally see someone else who agrees that Derrick is actually BETTER than Max as a singer (I'll admit - Max is the better songwriter).
    AEnima18
    i bought this on itunes, but i know now after a couple of songs that i'm not gonna want to listen to the rest.
    _velkan
    i see some ignorant people here... There's NO original sepultura members in the actual line up, go study some sepultura bio for a change! And yes, Sepultura was ONCE playing death metal, in a early stage. About the album, not bad, not great... not Sepultura IMHO.
    _velkan
    _velkan wrote: i see some ignorant people here... There's NO original sepultura members in the actual line up, go study some sepultura bio for a change! And yes, Sepultura was ONCE playing death metal, in a early stage. About the album, not bad, not great... not Sepultura IMHO.
    i know what you guys are going to say "oh, you're the ignorant, Paulo Jr is a original member!" Wrong. Sepultura suffered plenty of line up changes in the beggining, and they invited Paulo Jr (who in that time did not knew how to play bass) just because his bass guitar was "cool".
    duncang
    Paulo Jr was a member of the first SIGNIFICANT lineup of Sepultura; one that actually released anything. Now get off Wikipedia.
    Vicryl 2.0
    i agree with changing their name. this guys deserves a little more credit now.although ditch the name.i think its whats keeping them being hated all the time.. DANTE XXI is a great record..i have only heard a couple of tracks from A-Lex.so far from what ive heard i like it allot. i used to hate the line-up after Max left but then came to my senses after i heard Dante. saw them last november. Derrick's voice is far more menacing than Max.
    Azwethinkwedo
    sambargun wrote: If Max was Sepultura, why does Soulfly suck so bad. It sounds like LInkin Park. Same old lyrics, same old riff played over a double bass blast. To be very honest, Cavalera Conspiracy is not too different. But I really liked Dante XXI. I heard a few songs from this one. To me they sound heavy and the vocals do kick some serious ass. There is something really unique about Derek's vocals compared to the normal thrash/metal vocalists. Its good to see them going full speed ahead. Keep up the good work guys.....
    I assume you havnt heard much soulfly then? their second album, i'll admit was a poor, generic nu-metal album. but listen to dark ages, it sounds like a completly different band.
    huevos wrote: Just wondering, How would a white guy say sepultura? I just wanna hear how it's pronounced. lol
    sepple-toora? just how i've heard max say it, with his accent.
    benman7
    I've heard a lot of punk bands doing clockwork style tunes. But this is one of the first times ive heard of a metal band doing it.
    rasveer
    i personally like this album i thought it had some nice stuff in it
    ctfod
    Pingis_Or_Death wrote: If you are hardcore Sepultura fan and you like death metal you probably will not be disappointed as I (because the fact is also, album such as this is still better than most other death metal bands). I couldn't possibly disagree more. This album is NOT death metal, Sepultura were never death metal and I don't think a death metal fan would enjoy this.
    Though this album isn't death metal, Bestial Devastation and Morbid Visions were a more classic death metal, then they became thrashier, then they became how they more or less are now.
    Peres.T.Peanut
    Unnoriginal, repetitive riffs over a boring voice.No substance in this album...I give it a 4. A-Lex is definitly not up to what Sepultura deserves (or deserved).
    Filip413
    Can people please get over the fact that the Cavaleras left the band, shit this was fukn years ago. Enough with the "sepultura died when max left" and "quit using the sepultura name" remarks, for ****s sake this is so old. Cant people simply enjoy Sepultura for what it is now. Im so sick of hearing the same shit over and over again. I really enjoyed this album, Ive listened to it quite a few times and im still not bored of it. People just dont appreciate a good band when they see one and would rather waste time whinging and whining about irrelevant aspects of the bands current situation.
    not_dead_enough
    Filip413 wrote: Can people please get over the fact that the Cavaleras left the band, shit this was fukn years ago. Enough with the "sepultura died when max left" and "quit using the sepultura name" remarks, for ****s sake this is so old. Cant people simply enjoy Sepultura for what it is now. Im so sick of hearing the same shit over and over again. I really enjoyed this album, Ive listened to it quite a few times and im still not bored of it. People just dont appreciate a good band when they see one and would rather waste time whinging and whining about irrelevant aspects of the bands current situation.
    Well said. I mean, it's been Derrick's band for about as long as it was Max's...and one detail people always forget to mention is that MAX DOESN'T MIND THEM USING THE NAME!!! EVEN IF MAX MORALLY 'OWNS' THE NAME HE LETS THEM HAVE IT!
    AEnima18
    anyone else find the production on the vocals on this record to be pretty bad?
    malfeitor665
    etniesmuzikskat wrote: Sepultura should have called it quits when Max left.
    That about sums up my feelings as well...I have not liked anything really to come out of them since he left...though honestly...I haven't liked much of what he's done since either... I think they only work well together...
    DaMnatioN_696
    This album is so strange, is a involution of Sepultura...Who is the singer of this album? Max Cavalera)I don't think so!
    ozkr80
    This is the BEST album from Arise... Chaos AD was a mix between hardcore and groove. Roots was more hardcore and some nu-metal... But A-LEX comes THRASH - GROOVE & HARDCORE with awesome guitar solos, great vocals, amazing drums and very good basses. It's a powerfull album from the beggining to the end!!! And for all that don't knows the real face of Max Cavalera: He uses guitars and amps with the Brazilian flag, and tell to the fans that BRAZIL IS AWESOME and I LOVE BRAZIL. But recently he says to a european magazine that BRAZIL IS THE WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD and I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN BRAZIL ANYMORE... Hmmm, now I ask: if Brazil sucks for Max, Why he uses and abuses the brazilian flag? But I have the answer: Max only uses the brazilian flag cause his fans love that, only for bussiness. He hates the place in that he born and now all of you can understand why Max never comes to Brazil, never plays in Brazil, he plays in another south american countries (Argentina-Chile), except Brazil. And now I ask: USA don't have problems? The answer is simple YES. Drugs, narcotraffic, insane murderers, Madoff, Bush, racism, gangs... So I say if Max says that Brazil sucks, he should make anything for help brazilian people, but I know that he never help us, cause he hate us... Otherwise, look the Andreas Kisser way. He don't need uses guitars or amps with brazilian flags to show that he loves Brazil. He don't talk, he makes good actions to help Brazilian people. Andreas helped a foundation called MENINOS DO MORUMBI (Children Of Morumbi in english) that works with children, and now he is a part of that foundation... And like stupid ***** Max says: "Nevertrust - the two-faced" Cause nothing is more two faced that Max! Last but not least: Kisser ****s Cavaleras! E SEPULTURA CARALHO!!!
    Jester InFlames
    I've only given a deeper listen to songs until We've lost you. And it's great! Very very good. The concept is really ok, to precise it's perfect for me. I didn't listen to sepultura new stuff. +0 A.C.(=cavalera)but when in a review I heard it treats the mechanic orange (or however you say it int the original version)I immediately decided to check out the stuff
    Jester InFlames
    Clockwork Orange sorry
    Jester InFlames wrote: I've only given a deeper listen to songs until We've lost you. And it's great! Very very good. The concept is really ok, to precise it's perfect for me. I didn't listen to sepultura new stuff. +0 A.C.(=cavalera)but when in a review I heard it treats the mechanic orange (or however you say it int the original version)I immediately decided to check out the stuff
    sammyg123
    With this, I will take the same stance as with Cannibal Corpse (another great band): Max Calavera is a decent musician (Igor was waaaaay better though). Sepultura fans will hate me for this, but I honestly think he doesn't belong in any of Sepultura's works. Soulfly are really good, and he suits them. Derek suits Sepultura more. A-Lex and Dante XXI are fantastic, Dark Ages and Conquer by Soulfly are really good, but I didn't like Roots. Andreas and Paulo are inspirations for me and by Bass Player friend. Igor and this new drummer both pwn. One thing I can agree on is that they should change their name, old sepultura fans are getting too whiny and this is too stylistically different.
    Remanufactured
    It's unfortunate that Derrick Green is constantly going to be compared to Max, because I honestly think he's a solid vocalist who I feel has done the Sepultura name justice. He's learned a whole new language, relocated, and worked his arse off to make it work, and deserves a lot more credit than he gets sometimes.
    huevos
    Just wondering, How would a white guy say sepultura? I just wanna hear how it's pronounced. lol
    Pingis_Or_Death
    If you are hardcore Sepultura fan and you like death metal you probably will not be disappointed as I (because the fact is also, album such as this is still better than most other death metal bands).
    I couldn't possibly disagree more. This album is NOT death metal, Sepultura were never death metal and I don't think a death metal fan would enjoy this.
    scottishmob
    ^actually farfaraway, this was the reason that cyanide86 gave for his rating: "Similar riffs, lack of melody and constant screaming. He didn't even mention "real metal"! Actually read the review before you post about it.
    webbtje
    I thought this was pretty terrible myself, but good reviews.
    If you are hardcore Sepultura fan and you like death metal
    Except for that bit. No death metal here.
    goest
    etniesmuzikskat wrote: Sepultura should have called it quits when Max left.
    This.
    The JesterHead
    Are there, like... ANY original members in Sepultura now? :S Everything Sepultura made with Derrick Greene really sucks and I simply don't get anything in the post-Max era... This is NOT Sepultura. Anyone who claims otherwise has probably never heard anything from Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation to Chaos A.D. ...
    RUSTDOGG666
    Sepultura died when Max left the band. He was Sepultura. Now since we hear all these musicians suing other musicians over riff rights and image rights I think Max should sue the band for keeping the name. After Roots Bloody Roots anything Sepultura puts out is a waste of time, pointless and it sucks. I Refuse to give them the time of day on any recent efforts and I will Resist saying anything is good that they released after Max left. Thats the truth about this band.
    ghost14
    meh I never really liked the post- Max Sepultura but after listening to Dante XXI a few times, it grew on me (don't get me wrong I'm more of a fan of anything up until Roots). A-Lex has the similar sound to Dante XXI. They're both good album's for what they are but they'll never be as good as early Sepultura. But yer I agree they should change their ****ing band name. Plus i don't think Derrick is a great singer, he actually ****ing blows as a singer.
    Sanitarium91
    postmortem2006 wrote: sambargun wrote: If Max was Sepultura, why does Soulfly suck so bad. It sounds like LInkin Park. Same old lyrics, same old riff played over a double bass blast. To be very honest, Cavalera Conspiracy is not too different. But I really liked Dante XXI. I heard a few songs from this one. To me they sound heavy and the vocals do kick some serious ass. There is something really unique about Derek's vocals compared to the normal thrash/metal vocalists. Its good to see them going full speed ahead. Keep up the good work guys..... No, you're just a fanboy. Derrick green is terrible. And if you're comparing SOulfly to Linking Park, then you obviously haven't heard thier last two or three albums. Dark Anges and Conquer are btter than everything Sepultura have done since Max left, so quit the fanboyisms and go listen to Beneath the Remains.
    Not to be a c**t or anything but look who's talking Posty! You're the biggest Max fanboy I know. I'm not familiar with this album at all really, so I'm not gonna say anything about it, but I'm guessing you've never really given Green any chance (which is not the same thing as liking his vocals). I'm not a fan of groove, especially when we're talking low tunings, so I probably won't like it, but people do have different opinions and there's always the option of them. That is all.
    HelloHalo
    Cavalera's are gone, no hope left. I'll still listen to Beneath The Remains/Bestial Devastation/Morbid Visions every now and then, but otherwise the band is dead to me.
    karoultd17
    the new sepultura might as well call it quits or a least change their ****ing name to somethings else because this album suck major dick everything is too long and boreing!
    SolidState85
    This album is no surprise to those who have been listening to sepultura throughout the years. Since max left it has been a steady decline (But I did like against)
    nolifetilTHRASH
    One original member, one who's been in the band for 22 years, one who's been in the band for 12 years and the new drummer. I have heard Morbid Visions, Bestial Devastation and Chaos AD. I think A-Lex is better.
    listen to Beneath The Remains and the Arise album the two best Thrash albums around
    sambargun
    If Max was Sepultura, why does Soulfly suck so bad. It sounds like LInkin Park. Same old lyrics, same old riff played over a double bass blast. To be very honest, Cavalera Conspiracy is not too different. But I really liked Dante XXI. I heard a few songs from this one. To me they sound heavy and the vocals do kick some serious ass. There is something really unique about Derek's vocals compared to the normal thrash/metal vocalists. Its good to see them going full speed ahead. Keep up the good work guys.....
    duncang
    nolifetilTHRASH wrote: One original member, one who's been in the band for 22 years, one who's been in the band for 12 years and the new drummer. I have heard Morbid Visions, Bestial Devastation and Chaos AD. I think A-Lex is better. listen to Beneath The Remains and the Arise album the two best Thrash albums around
    Gee, thanks for the recommendation. I've listened to EVERY Sepultura album and A-Lex ranks as one of my favourites. Checked.
    postmortem2006
    sambargun wrote: If Max was Sepultura, why does Soulfly suck so bad. It sounds like LInkin Park. Same old lyrics, same old riff played over a double bass blast. To be very honest, Cavalera Conspiracy is not too different. But I really liked Dante XXI. I heard a few songs from this one. To me they sound heavy and the vocals do kick some serious ass. There is something really unique about Derek's vocals compared to the normal thrash/metal vocalists. Its good to see them going full speed ahead. Keep up the good work guys.....
    No, you're just a fanboy. Derrick green is terrible. And if you're comparing SOulfly to Linking Park, then you obviously haven't heard thier last two or three albums. Dark Anges and Conquer are btter than everything Sepultura have done since Max left, so quit the fanboyisms and go listen to Beneath the Remains.