Dante XXI review by Sepultura

• Released: Mar 13, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
Sepultura: Dante XXI

Since the mid 90s Sepultura have been experimenting with various elements and the products of those experiments have ranged From the mediocre Chaos AD to the quite bad Nation. There were good songs through this period but the vast bulk of the material after Arise is semi serious and a far cry from the early thrash/death epics. Dante XXI is an effort to step just slightly back, it still has a lot of that groove element but there is a clear thrash element as well, overall the album is faster than its immediate predecessors and the riffs get fairly thrash on some of the songs. Even the slow songs, like "Nuclear Seven", are a significant improvement.

Derrick Greene's vocals have been constantly decent since he joined the band on Against, I prefer Max Cavalera but Greene isn't too bad. The lyrics are based on Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy and the songs are arranged to form the tree segments: Hell, Purgatory and Paradise. The lyrics too show a lot more cohesion than before.

Kisser is the dominant driving force behind the new Sepultura and he has done a good job with the guitar sound and leads on Dante XXI and if he had cut the various strings and keyboard fill this album would be a lot better than it is. Dante XXI is not the big come back album like Kreator's Violent Revolution, it's like Slayer's Christ Illusion a step in the right direction, Date XXI with all of it's downsides is still the best Sepultura album since Arise.

BGmetal
    I have to say, I didn't like Against that much, Nation was worse, and I skipped Roorback altogether, but I did enjoy this album a lot. Great concept too.
    krvolok
    Nyhm wrote: mediocre Chaos AD WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!
    ^MkII Sepultura Fan.... Chaos AD is kinda like Metallica's Load(in simple terms boring and just stupid when compared to the epic Arise) but slightly worst since Metallica had Justice and Black Album to soften up the blow.
    Shinsen88
    While I haven't managed to really get into their stuff since Max left, this is still an above-average album. The concept is cool and works well, and there are some pretty good songs here. Probably deserves at least 7/10.
    acdclandon
    Nyhm wrote: mediocre Chaos AD WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!?!
    Dude seriously. IMO Chaos and Roots were the best of Sepultura. Love the early Thrash too, Arise/Beneath the Remains are definitely badass. But you can't deny groove metal man, it is the shit.
    baratafan
    If you love Max Cavalera, go ahead and listen Soulfly. Soulfly is just what Max always wanted for Sepultura. I think Sepultura is better without him because now all the songs have something from each other of the band. In the Max era, Sepultura was just a Max band, like Soulfly is today. Derrick has great lyrics and a better voice than Max. Max is a very poor writer.And the new Sepultura always play in Brasil. Max left his country and has courage to show the Brasilian flag in Soulfly shows...I'm from Brasil and I'm so proud to say: The new Sepultura is better than old.
    ThrashUnleashed
    Definetly brings Sep closer to thier best, but being a fan of Sevendust and Disturbed and such, I liked Roots and Roorback probably more than most. Morbid Visions is still my favorite so far,though. Deathrash is my favorite fusion genre, and MV had even a sense of blackened on it.